Lower unit question 10hp 1963

dbosco002

Cadet
I got my first outboard last summer for $50 w/ a gas tank. I replace the lower init gear lube last summer and let the motor sit until saturday when I replaced a tiller and put a carb kit in it. When I put the motor in the barrel and ran it the water had a lot of oil scum floading on the top. So I removed the motor and drained the lower unit. It had quite a bit of water in it.

So the thing sat all summer/winter and didn't leak a drop then when I put it in water and started it I had a mess.

Any ideas or should I just replace all the lower unit seals?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower unit question 10hp 1963

If you had new washers on the fill and vent plugs you should not have had a leak; but, since you did leak, you may need to reseal the unit: http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=110557&gd_row=12&**********=778741777

BTW, The oil in your test barrel is probably unburned oil from the engine.

The crush washers for your vent and fill screws can be purchased in a bag of 50 - Sierra part number 18-42481-9. They are good to have on hand

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Lower unit question 10hp 1963

When you have the unit apart, check the upper, and lower drive shaft bushing's for wear. Also check the drive shaft at these point's for wear. If there is much wear at these point's, the upper drive shaft seal will leak when the engine is running. It is not uncommon for these early, small engines to have a bent gearcase. That is what cause's the drive shaft, and bushing wear.