Lower Unit Mounting Question

xenus7850

Cadet
I had an issue in which I had to take the lower unit off, I have it corrected now. The issue was just a stuck/frozen LU drain plug. I have reattached the LU 3 times now, however each time I do it, there seams to be a VERY VERY SLIGHT gap in the very front by where the shaft goes into the upper housing, actually even in front of that by where the water drain hole is. It is in the very very front of the lower unit by the back of the boat transom. I would say it is about 1/50 of an inch, like I said, VERY VERY small and the length is only about 2 inches.

Can this be normal? If not, what should I do? I don't know if it was always like this as the LU and UU have had bottom paint on them, so that small of a crack would not have been noticeable then. I am getting ready to add geal lube, if the gear lube does not leak, am I ok?

I have tightened all 6 bolts as much as I should/can. Does water usually get in there anyway since it is just an aluminum against aluminum fit? Almost seam like maybe the actual fit is SLIGHT off, as if maybe it had always been like this. I have double checked the o-ring to make sure it is mounted correct, the 2 shims, etc. This is a B3 LU BTW.

xenus7850

Cadet
Re: Lower Unit Mounting Question

Also, after reading my OM, should the water passage be flush against the LU? Mine was not, it came up about 1/4-1/2" when I mounted the LU to the UU. However, I dropped the LU about 1/2" to see if it was crimped and it did not appear to be so, it appeared to be going stright up into the UU.