Lower unit lube???

BigFishKen

Seaman Apprentice
Howdy all, I checked my lower unit lube only to find it opaque, kinda like melted butter...instead of golden clear...like beer :) . Is this a sign of water intrusion? I'm gonna replace it anyway. I just want to know if I may need to look at seals ?? Thanks for any help. Ken

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lower unit lube???

If it looked like a grey or peanutbutter milkshake, it has water in it.<br />Were the fill and vent screws very tight.or were you able to remove them with a screwdriver?<br />Were there any chunks of metal in the old lube?<br /><br />Before tearing it down, refill the l/u.<br />Use new gaskets on both vent and fill screws.Tighten a couple whacks with an impact driver.<br />Re checheck after next outing.

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

Yes that is water.<br />you need to have new seal put in,<br />put first I would try it ! more time to<br />see if the same thing happen.<br />If so then you need new seal.

BigFishKen

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, It's only a little hazy, and I haven't completely drained it yet to see if there's any debris. I'll change it this weekend. I need to find new screws/gaskets. They are a little beat up and were too easy to remove. Thanks again.