lower unit lift arms? the 2 on each side of the lower unit froze up?? 1988 21 seville

jimmyriggs

Cadet
hello, first time posting on this site. I have just bought a 1988 SEARAY seville cabin boat with all bells and wistles it was fresh water used till 2005. Has the 4.3l v6 gm/ mercrusier 700hrs.It is nice and clean and it runs like a kitten, but lower unit hydraulic lift arms are froze up i think???, I checked the :eek: pump over looks good, when i press the up button nothing, only down will work on the switch and the pump runs when you press down but nothing happens on the lower unit, i replaced all lines and checked pump for leeks.. nothing, disconnected those hydraulic arms and tried to push them in by hand,(the arms are stuck out, or in up position) one side finally went 3/4 way in. The other one is still stuck out, what are the arms called? is that my problem? can i use just one?.. please help me get this figured out and any advice is helpfull..... thank you!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: lower unit lift arms? the 2 on each side of the lower unit froze up?? 1988 21 sev

what are the arms called? is that my problem? can i use just one?..

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...
They're known as the Trim Rams,...
They're no doubt part of yer problem, but it sounds like the pump has Issues too...
Did the outdrive drop down when you took 'em off,..??
If not, it's siezed too...

No, you can NOT run with just 1, it's needs Both...

The siezed 1, Might come back to life if you can collaspe it...

jimmyriggs

Cadet
Re: lower unit lift arms? the 2 on each side of the lower unit froze up?? 1988 21 sev

hi thanks,, oh, yes it did drop down when i disconnected them, i also found out that the pump tank was loose and seal was not tight fixed that , hope i can collapse the other one then, any advice in doing so?

Bondo

Staff member

hope i can collapse the other one then, any advice in doing so?

Ayuh,.... Between a rock, 'n a hardplace...

I donno how Handy ya are, nor your resourses available...
You need to push it in/ closed by whatever means ya got...

jimmyriggs

Cadet

can they be twisted 360* just bashed in ? lol thanks i can do it i just never worked with a trim ram cylinder

fishrdan

Admiral

When you switch up/down does the pump run both directions or is the drive just not moving? Since you have the trim rams disconnected from the drive, run the pump up/down and see what happens (tie the rams up so they don't scratch up anything) with the trim rams. Don't worry if the rams go at different rates, you just see if they both move in/out.

(trim limit switch....?)

Bondo

Staff member

can they be twisted 360* just bashed in ? lol thanks i can do it i just never worked with a trim ram cylinder

Ayuh,... Twistin', Yes,...
Beatin', No...
Ya need Large, steady pressure...

Fix the pump so's it Works, 'n Reverse the lines,...
You Do have the lines off 'em, Right,..??

Replace 'em if ya have to,...
Freshwater used is usually a safe buy...

jimmyriggs

Cadet

thanks for advice, so can be twisted 360* full circle ? and yes lines are off.., so reverse the lines? like from pump-in line now the out-line and vs? all new lines at this point now..that was the first thing i did ..., do you know how i would bleed the lines once all put back together?

Bondo

Staff member

so can be twisted 360* full circle ?

Ayuh,... 720? if ya want...
do you know how i would bleed the lines once all put back together?

Run it up, 'n down 10, 15 times otta do it...

jimmyriggs

Cadet

When you switch up/down does the pump run both directions or is the drive just not moving? Since you have the trim rams disconnected from the drive, run the pump up/down and see what happens (tie the rams up so they don't scratch up anything) with the trim rams. Don't worry if the rams go at different rates, you just see if they both move in/out.

(trim limit switch....?)

the switch only is working down and nothing was happaning on the lower unit at all , could be the switch or wiring to pump and maybe one ram is stuck to ...? how do you test the switch?.. thanks

Bondo

Staff member

or wiring to pump

Ayuh,... Probably corroded wire ends...
Use a Test Light or DVMeter to see where the power goes to, or don't...