Lower unit impeller, metal sleeve or no sleeve??

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I see more and more impellers over the years eliminating the metal sleeve and
going with completely rubber one piece design.Mercruiser,Yamaha etc.The logical reason I can see
is cost.No metal has to cost less to produce.I have avoided the non metal sleeve impellers but recently have heard a very good reason for no metal sleeve impellers.i have only had it happen once in my 30+ years of boating but every so often does an impeller fail and it fails between the metal sleeve and the rubber .Similar to a spun hub on an older prop.Whether it spins or tears away from the rubber
the possibility DOES exist. I am proof when I tried a blue "run dry" mercruiser impeller
many years ago and it failed at the metal sleeve .A completely rubber impeller eliminates that possibility I was recently told.I never thought of that and am considering trying one
on my Yamaha outboard.Makes sense to me, anyone else thinking like this? Charlie

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Between the development of new plastic compounds and advancements in injection molding, I could see the metal insert going by the wayside

I’m surprised they didn’t go to some sort of plastic (Polyethylene) insert sooner

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
which ones use a metal sleeve?
all the outboards I remember seeing were not metal around the shaft, but the wear plate and cup were metal

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
which ones use a metal sleeve?
all the outboards I remember seeing were not metal around the shaft, but the wear plate and cup were metal
Pretty sure the last water pump sec I did on my Yamaha 200 saltwater series was a metal sleeve.It was an oem kit. Mercruiser for sure(not an outboard).Charlie