Lower Unit Hanging Up

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lower Unit Hanging Up

That video helped a good bit. I'll check to see if its on the right way when I get home. I'm sure it's on right. I just wanna double check. Thats what I get for working on aircraft in the Corps. It makes you paranoid about things like that. Hopefully it is, and I can check it this weekend.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I haven't been on here in a while due to that virus/worm that went around. Shut the whole network down on base. Well, The inpeller was in right, and I got it all back together, serviced up the lower unit, got sprayed in the face with the oil, but it still overheats. I'm thinking the thermostat is bad now. It isn't much to change it, so might as well have a new one on.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I can tell you for a fact that the v4, and v6 style impellors wont correct themselves if installedbacwards. they will pump water at low speeds but not at higher speeds. I fix 10 a year or so that someone had a heating condition and replaced the pump. they will always tell me they just did the pump and I always take it back apart to look for myself. you would not belive how many I see with the vanes set wrong. yamaha wont correct itself either. some of the omni directional pumps used on inboards and stern drives will and a few of the short vaned outboards will but most wont. there is not physically enough room in the eccentric cavity to allow it. not only may you need to service the t-stats but have a look at the pressure control diaphrams,springs and plastic parts as well as the rubber grommet for any distortion.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I watched that video on the above post, and I installed the impeller counterclockwise. I get a steady stream out of the pee hole up top, and ran the motor, then the overheat buzzer went off. It also can be a low oil, I'm just not sure. I forgot to put the plug in at the launch, and the oil lines were under water. I didnt try to start it untill all the water was out. Could I have gotten water mixed into the oil and into the vro? I drained oil out with the primer bulb. Can I drain it out of the vro too, or is it an overheating problem? Steady beed for a second, and gets faster when I accelerate, then shut it off and steady beep.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if all the ground and power cables are clean aand tight then the alarm function is 1/2 second tone every 1/2 second is no oil in the pump. 1/2 second tone every 20-40 seconds(depends on whats still original) is low oil in the oil tank. steady tone that wont quit until the key is off indicates overheat. yes water in the oil pump can trigger a funny alarm as well as send water to the carbs and create other problems. to drain any water out of the tank use a turkey baster or similar suction device. or remove the pick up assy from the tank and give the tank a good cleaning. its a good time to inspect the filter and low oil contacts as well. how many wires are on your VRO pump that plug into the rubber socket ?

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I watched that video on the above post, and I installed the impeller counterclockwise
drag...im pretty sure that the impellar is supposed to be installed Clockwise...not Counterclockwise. if you will read R.Johnson's reply it will back me up. i think you need to check the impellar again. i know you didnt want to hear that.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, once again Im dumb. I meant clockwise. I don't know what I was thinking, but it IS in clockwise. Sorry about that. I'll drain the oil tank, and put fresh oil in. But before I run the motyor, how can I drain the old oil out of the pump?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Run the engine on pre-mix, That will pull out whatever is left in the pump. Remember! your only doing this at a fast idle.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I got the water pump in, new thermostats, and the motor works good, and the water out of the pee hole is like a firehose. But I'm still getting the no oil warning. I'm going to make a new post on this.