Lower Unit Hanging Up

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1989 175 v6 90 degree johnson outboard. Went to repalce the water pump this weekend, and could not get the lower unit to seperate. I disconnected everything, and it was hanging, but it's hung up somewhere inside the motor. Splines maybe? I didnt disconnect the prop because I don't have a big enough socket, and can't see a need to. I disconnected the linkage, and when its connected, in forward the unit is higher, and reverse it hangs lower. Is the reverse gear making it hang up?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Unit Hanging Up

did you dissconect the shift link under the lower carb ?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, the shift link is disconnected. It seems like the splines are hangin up on the driveshaft. It just hangs from the bottom of the motor. It is a small pin with a cotter pin under the right side under the choke solenoid. If it's hung up inside, how can I unhook it? Any other hidden bolts I'm missing? I got the 4 connecting the exhaust, and the two under the trim tab. Do I have to remove the prop?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

No, you don't have to remove the prop. If it's SS, I would remove just to lighten up the mess. You do periodically remove it to grease the prop shaft, don't you?<br /><br />If you've got all the fasteners free that hold the LU on and the shift shaft disconnected, it should just drop, unless the driveshaft is corroded in the crankshaft. If that's the case, good luck!

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The lower unit moves around, but it's like the driveshaft is still connected. How do I get it unstuck? Any ideas?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just called a repair shop, and the guy was talking about moving the shift rod. Is it the rod on the bottom that needs to be slid, or removed?

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Dragula; If when you move the shift lever you are moving the lower unit up and down then the shift lever has not been disconnected. If the lower unit drops down about a 1/2" when the bolts are removed then I don't think the splines are stuck.<br />good luck

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The shift rod is held by a screw, it is located on the left, or port side of the engine, under the lower carb. Shift into reverse to remove. The VRO is in the way, so that screw is hard to see. For this job, if you don't have them on hand, go to Sear's, and get a 14 in., 1/4 drive extension with a 3/8 wobbler socket. Also a flexible steel grasping fingers. A strong light also come's in handy. Without the above tool's, that screw is almost impossible to remove, and install.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

methinks a service manual would be most helpful about now.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I got the &*$%#@$ lower unit off, and what a *&%^$ in the #$&@! that was! I have a manual, but it just says to remove a pin, not the shift lever, or the block that connects the shift lever, or the lower carb! I got all 3 off, and its gonna take one heck of an act to get it all back together. The next question I have is can I spray a garden hose in the inside of the motor at all? Would it kill anything? I wanna make sure all the sand is out, because thats what caused the water pump to puke.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

You can hook a hose up to the water intake tube, but your not gonna get the t-stats to open up unless you run it.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I guess thats outta the question then. I'll just get this saltwater cleaner stuff for it when I get it all back together. Thanks. I wanna fix it tonight, but lovely coastal NC storms are a hinderance. It's like a darn huricane out there. Sky black and all that.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

How did you finally get the gearcase off, and you still have to get it back on.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

R.Johnson, it was hanging up on the actual shift linckage. Thats what I thought, but didn't know how to disconnect it. After removing the carbs, I got the linkage disconnected. I got the impeller and housing on, and the lower unit mounted. My question is is it possible to put the impeller in backwards? I pretty sure it's in right because I looked at the old one and mirrored the install. If it can be put in backwards, how bad would it be? What kinda damage can be caused?

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if its put in backwards i pretty sure that it will nut suck in water. you can overheat your motor and cause some seriouse damage. with mine i just use the moon shaped pin to set the impellar in place and push the housing down onto it while turing the driveshaft clockwise. yours is a bit newer than mine so i dont know but it might be the same.

Walker

Captain

There will probably be some replies that say it ain't so, but I'm telling you that your impellor will correct itself if you put it in backwards.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That 1/4 in. drive extension with 3/8 wobbler, and steel flexible fingers would have saved alot of work, or did you try that?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sure didnt try it. Sorry. My only access to a computer is at work, and I didnt get your reply untill the next day. It proly would have helped alot, but I needed to remove the carbs anyway for a bad line. Either that, or I broke it takin em off. I hope the later. I'm just wonderin about if the impeller is in backwards. I had to move the fingers so they would form inside the pump housing, and its tight. I don't think I would be able to just turn the driveshaft. IS this right? I just dont wanna remove it again.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It turns in a clock-wise direction with the vane's trailing back. That is a very heavy impellor, I can't really say if it will straighten itself out, as I never tried it. That is your call as to take it off, and check it.