LOWER UNIT 50HP & 70HP SWAP

markhorton1979

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
5
I have a 1974 Johnson 50hp model #50ESL74M mech shift and the shift rod is froze. My dealer says I need a new lower unit. I found one on ebay and the seller says it will work but it is off of a 1974 70hp with model #70ESL74 Can anyone confirm that this will work? E-mail me if possible. markandkatrina@msn.com Thanks in advance.
 

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
14,681
Re: LOWER UNIT 50HP & 70HP SWAP

gear ratios are different for one
 

ob

Admiral
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
6,992
Re: LOWER UNIT 50HP & 70HP SWAP

Yep ,they're the same.P/N for gear case w/bearings is 0385560.<br /><br />edit:jimmbo is correct.Fwd, rev gears,and pinion are different ,but the lower unit case is identical.
 

markhorton1979

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
5
Re: LOWER UNIT 50HP & 70HP SWAP

So will this unit work or are the gear ratios too big of a factor? Will it dramaticly reduce my take off speed or is it that noticable? Also will it just bolt directly up to my 50? Or should I wait for a 50 hp unit to come along?
 

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
8,902
Re: LOWER UNIT 50HP & 70HP SWAP

I'm pretty sure the driveshafts are different, too - different splines at top. The 50s use a fine spline, while the 70s used a 4-sided spline...<br />- Scott
 

phatmanmike

Captain
Joined
Oct 24, 2003
Messages
3,869
Re: LOWER UNIT 50HP & 70HP SWAP

why not repair the one you have? sounds like your dealer is trying to sell you parts!<br /><br />and, get the right one for your motor. not the 70hp. just cause it mayTECHNICALLY fit, it may not be right for your application
 

markhorton1979

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
5
Re: LOWER UNIT 50HP & 70HP SWAP

Originally posted by myoutboards:<br /> why not repair the one you have? sounds like your dealer is trying to sell you parts!<br /><br />and, get the right one for your motor. not the 70hp. just cause it mayTECHNICALLY fit, it may not be right for your application
How do I go about repairing the one I have?
 
Top