Lower Shift Shaft Bushing and Seals Kit??

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I found the threads on the upper shift shaft bushings and seals. Those come in a small kit of parts. I have not been able to find a kit of parts for the lower shift shaft. Does anybody have a kit part number or do I need to order individual parts? I know the upper kit is an "upgrade" so is there also any "upgrade" for the lower shift shaft?

Thanks...

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Based off the OD number merc and Sierra equivalent. I believe these are good for earlier mc1 bell housings if you are still running the original mc1 transom housing.

bushing and seal kit
merc part 23-805041A2
sierra 18-2622

oil seal (upper)
merc 26-816464-1
sierra 18-2054

if it is worn the shift shaft is
merc 45589A3
sierra 18-2169

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great, thanks... The sterndrive is a 1985 Alpha One based on the serial number..

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Great, thanks... The sterndrive is a 1985 Alpha One based on the serial number..
Yes the drive is an alpha one, but there is a separate serial number for the transom assembly The R, MR, and Alpha ones are direct bolt in swaps for the earlier MC1 drives, so it is possible a later drive can be bolted to an earlier transom assembly. The seal kit mentioned says it fits all mc1, r,mr,alpha gen one drives so in this case it doesn’t make a difference, but for other parts you may need it might. just something to be aware of.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hmm, guess I will have to see if I can find a serial number on the transom assembly. The labels are gone for it. The upper unit had a metal stamped serial number so hoping somewhere there is a metal stamped on on the transom assembly.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Hmm, guess I will have to see if I can find a serial number on the transom assembly. The labels are gone for it. The upper unit had a metal stamped serial number so hoping somewhere there is a metal stamped on on the transom assembly.
If you cant find a serial post a picture of the transom assy- likely some here can tell you what approximate vinatge it is