Lower shift cable oem part # help

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer
my lower shift cable is shot and im trying to find a oem replacement kit. I cant seem to find the part # anywhere I keep comming up with a sierra part #18-2603 but im looking for the mercruiser part # ... 1987 alpha 1 sn# ob703381 engine sn# b740551, also I keep seeing cables are the newer style? not shure what that meens. any help would be great.
thank you,
Denny

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower shift cable oem part # help

Newer style simply means it goes in from the rear of the housing. 87 should accept this new style.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

this is a accidental double post .....moderator please delete thank you

Pete104

Lieutenant

That new style is the only 1 available. You need a special tool from merc (only) to do the job properly. Yours may come in from the aft. But it may not.

That cable kit is the 1 you want. The tap you need is only available from mercury, though. There is no choice.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

the "tap" you are talking about is the long thin walled socket correct?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Taps are not sockets.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Straight tap.jpg
    Straight tap.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0

Pete104

Lieutenant

Thanks for the clarification Don.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

boy im glad I asked....after a lot of research I never heard of taping threads, the way I read the directions was it was a basic swap and no modifacatons..now I have to buy another special tool ontop of the special "socket" haha....thanks alot for all your help guys, I will order this stuff and Im sure you will hear from me again..
Denny

boy im glad I asked....after a lot of research I never heard of taping threads, the way I read the directions was it was a basic swap and no modifacatons..now I have to buy another special tool ontop of the special "socket" haha....thanks alot for all your help guys, I will order this stuff and Im sure you will hear from me again..
Denny

As mentioned above '87 should be from the aft already, no need to tap.

and you don't need any special tools as far as thin wall sockets. Here are some options some have used:

-a 9/16" spark plug socket has a hex nut on the end of it and you can add another socket to that,

-if you do get the OEM shift cable the end guide near the hex nut can be unscrewed to tighten the nut with a regular socket then re screw the end guide back on.

-a 9/16" 1/2" drive deep socket (as is) worked for mine.

-a 9/16" nut driver has a hollow handle and will accept the cable guide.

you can cut off the old cable's end guide next to the nut and just unscrew the cable out of the bellhousing using a regular socket.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Ok thank you, I won't order the tap then+ ill rig something up for the socket/driverthanks again,
Denny

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Hello,
Got the shift cable kit in the mail yesterday, heading over to the boat in a few. Just going to pull the drive today due to time restraints and inspect everything to make sure I don't have any more issues, so if needed I can order more parts for next weekend when I will start the job.
It's a shame all the manuals out there are so limited on how to replace the lower shift cable, it seems you have had to done the job before to understand what they are saying..I need a video..lol. I have pieced enough info together from threads on this site and others to give it a good effort next weekend.
Again thanks for all the replies and assistance.
Denny