lower shift cable- 1985 120 horse merc

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer
After putting on the lower shift cable I am not able to adj it out far enough for the cam to be in the shift slide and for the lower unit to go on. On the under side of the shift shaft there is a slide that has to be straight back and forth for the unit to slide on. This is cocked to the side and it seems I do not have enough cable to bring it out any further

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: lower shift cable- 1985 120 horse merc

Are you sure it's the right cable? Some drives need to be modified. I'm sure Don or Bondo know the answer to this one. I changed mine last year, but it went right on. Alpha drive, right?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Make sure your shift cable is screwed into the bellhousing all the way. Without the proper tool it can be hard to get it screwed all the way in.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

you installed a new cable and did not cut it.<br />is the control box in fwd.?<br />with box in fwd, adjust barrel to move slide till the roller slips in the notch.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a service manual on how to adjust the cable?

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

Thx for the info. I hired someone to do it and I have never done it. Im not sure what he is saying the prob is. It is an alpha drive. I got Bondos manual so I will have to study it and look. This is getting frustrating. He said the engine wasnt aligned right so I went and got Bondos alignment tool AGIAN, and it slipped in with my pinky finger. Sorry I didnt get back sooner but my computer has been restarting for about five hours. Anyone know any good pc forums, lol.