Lower pressure from water pump after impeller change

seaway81

Seaman Apprentice
I ran aground last week (inside a channel, by the way) and managed to suck a great deal of sand into the impeller housing of a 1999 Mercury 60HP Bigfoot. As a result, the engine barely pumped any water so I took it in to a shop to have it looked at. In short, the impeller housing was completely clogged with sand. I had the housing, the base plate and the impeller changed. After the repairs, the engine pumps water, but at a much lower pressure than it did before I ran it aground. The mechanic seemed to think it was fine, but I am a bit worried. After running the engine for a half an hour at varying RPMs under load the water "peeing" out is warm, but far from hot, and none of the egine surfaces feel more than warm to the touch. Should I be concerned? Is there a period of time befor the new impeller "seats" itself in the housing? Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

seaway81

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lower pressure from water pump after impeller change

Anyone have any ideas? I need to get back to fishing!! Thanks.

j_martin

Admiral

Maybe if you told us what the pressures were and are, someone could offer an intelligent opinion.

I'd hazard a guess that the mechanic cleaned out some other partially plugged passages, and it is now normal instead of slightly high as before.

That's just a guess, because you have given me no factual information.

hope it helps
John

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is there a period of time before the new impeller "seats" itself in the housing?

A new impeller works at it's best right after installation. There is no break-in period before the water pressure is at it's maximum potential.

If you decide to hook up a pressure gauge, the below guide may be helpful.

Attachments

• Water Pressure Troubleshoot Guide.jpg
    Water Pressure Troubleshoot Guide.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1

marty53

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea there isn't any break in time with an impeller. I'd say contrary to j_martin that it's possible when you sucked in the sand that sand got suck up in the water line elsewhere, which the mechanic didn't clean out when he change the impeller and housing, and thats restricting the flow. I would have him check it out. or you can blow air through it with a compressor.

But as j_martin said. you can put a water gauge in for $50 if you dont already have one--then you could get some real answers

seaway81

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help. Too bad j_martin needs to be a prick about it. sorry I didn't include the correct amount of factual information. Sorry I don't own a pressure gauge. I was under the impression that people with limited knowledge could come here, ask questions of those with a good amount of knowledge and get helpful responses without getting a bunch of attitude as well. I now know I was incorrect.

j_martin

Admiral

EXCUSE ME!
How did you know that the pressure was lower without owning a pressure gauge? Thus I assumed you had information that you didn't disclose.

If by pressure, you meant the force of the telltale stream, then that makes sense. The water at the telltale all has to go through the thermostats. If they are working properly, and the engine is getting good supply, the telltale is normally quite scant and intermittent. If it is strong all the time, you're probably slightly overheating.

If I were the prick you claim, I'd just ignore you like all the others did for 24 hours, and let you go on spending good money chasing a non-problem.

I'm done guessing/helping. Good luck

John

seaway81

Seaman Apprentice

I guess you got me straightened out. I would like to apologize, j_martin, it seems I am not having the best of days and took it out on the only person trying to help. For that I am sorry. And thank you for your help.

j_martin

Admiral

Accepted, all is good.

If you need any more help, just ask.

John