lower end won't drop 75hp 1985 merc 2stroke. 4cyl

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: lower end won't drop 75hp 1985 merc 2stroke. 4cyl

The main mistake I made was prying around the area of the sacrificial anode. That is a thin area and it cracked. Fortunately, that is not a critical area and I was able to file it down, replace lost area with jb weld and paint with GENUINE merc phantom black so its ok.

I think the key to all of this is patience. Being retired helped. I had time.

When I was doing the heating I thought it was important to immediately start prying while things were very hot. I've since read that the benefit of heating is the alternate heating and cooling breaks down the corrosion. Not sure I buy into that argument. An example of cycling not being of much benefit is auto exhaust bolts. Those seem to always twist off and they are subject to lots of cycling.

I knew I was winning the game during heating when I could see Pblaster bubbling up out of the stud with other gunk. So far I'm sold on PBlaster. Not sure WD40 does much. I had a similar experience with pulleys on my riding mower deck.

I consider myself lucky, but you make your own luck and patience was the big factor there.

I got really spooked when this lower unit would not drop as I really baby this motor and it does not get used a lot either. So it seems new to me and this situation could have really trashed it.

I can see how leaving a boat tied up at the dock in a salt water environment could trash a motor very quickly unless lots of PM is done.

don