Lower Drive Assembly - Did something stupid today - please help me sleep tonight.

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I was backing my boat into my garage tonight. I have to back up a pretty good hill to get it in the garage so i was in 4wd. I was taking my truck out of 4wd and I guess i must have put it in Low gear 4wd. I was about a foot away from the wall when I hit the gas I lurched backwards and the fin on the lower drive assembly hit a 2x4 in my garage and put about a 1/4" nick in it....... I hit the brake almost immediately but it sounded awful. That nick is all the damage i could find to the house the assembly looks fine but i would have no idea what to look for?

Did i just do something Bad or stupid?

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Lower Drive AssemblyLower Drive Assembly - Did something stupid today - please help

Lower Drive AssemblyLower Drive Assembly - Did something stupid today - please help

Deleted duplicate post

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Lower Drive Assembly - Did something stupid today - please help me sleep tonight.

Deleted duplicate post

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lower Drive Assembly - Did something stupid today - please help me sleep tonight.

Without seeing it going by what you said it sounds like you just nicked your Skeg which is most likely more cosmetic that anything bad. My skeg was damaged & still is when I purchased our boat hasn't caused any issue accept looks ugly.

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry i should have clarified the 1/4" nick was in the 2x4 - the skeg looked unaffected.

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry i should have clarified the 1/4" nick was in the 2x4 - the skeg looked unaffected.

Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about then based on info you provided. Time to go boating :)

Here is an Ugly Skeg IMO that I still may fix this winter just because I am really Anal about damage. It has taken all I have to not fix it yet.
filename_35.jpg

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the damage to the house was caused by the skeg and the skeg looks good... i would say you are good to go. But if the prop hit the wall, you might have issues. Trim down the drive and fire it up and shift thru the gears to be sure. Maybe spin the prop to see the runout of the shaft. And as long as the drive is clean ad dry concrete... i would think 2wd would be sufficient. Unless we are talking a MAJOR incline...

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the tips!

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

took it to the dealer today just to be safe and all is well