Lowe vs. Tracker

CWCW

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have pretty much singled out two mod-V hull designs from both of these brands. The Tracker Pro Team 170 and the Lowe Stinger 160. Ive heard that Lowe's deck floor is all aluminum and the transoms are too. Are Tracker's floor and transoms aluminum also? Any pros and cons on these to boats would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lowe vs. Tracker

I had a very similar Tracker from 10 years ago. No wood issues, but I did not keep the boat for ages either. Both of these new boats look like nice designs to me. What flavor motors are your dealers offering? Is it easy to get test drives?

Kelly Cook

CWCW

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I havent asked about the test drive yet, but they both only offer Mercury engines. Both models have a max rating of 50hp. I was gonna get the 50hp 2-stroke cause i was told that this size boat was built for 2-stroke motors instead of the heavier 4-stroke models.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tracker had some weld issues in the past.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Humm. The Mercury web site no longer shows any 2-stroke motors under 75HP?

If feasible, I would let test drives decide this.

Kelly

CWCW

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know, i saw that Mercury doesnt have a selection for 2-stroke carb motors listed on line. They have 4-strokes, opti's and verados listed but no 2-stroke carborated engines. I know they still make them cause i have seen them in the dealers already mounted on these size boats. I have also seen alot of 90hp 2-stroke carb mercs in the dealers. Also Tracker and Lowe both show on their websites to have these boats pre-rigged with 50hp and 90hp 2-stroke motors. I guess that since the only 2-stroke carb motors they have to pick from are the 50 and the 90, they dont bother in listing them online. Who knows?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Think carefully about carbed two-stroke power on a new boat as many areas are prohibiting their use, especially on drinking water reservoirs and rivers. I know for a fact that you can buy a Tracker with no pre-rig (meaning no engine) as I just did that at Bass Pro in Springfield, MO. I would bet you can do it with Lowe as well. You just need to ask. Then go to any dealer and get the engine you want.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I suspect the Mercury 50HP 2-strokes you find with some builders are leftover motors. No longer in production, and no longer available once the existing stocks run out. As Silvertip already posted, these high emission designs could become a regulatory issue in the future. Go 4-stroke, be happy. Very happy.

Kelly

CWCW

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess i hear so many bad stories about all three. People say carb engines are close to becoming non existant and some areas are baning their use. Then some say go DI with like a Optimax, and others say Optimax will also be gone soon out in the future and that people have problems with them. The only thing i hear bad about 4-strokes (50hp) is that they are too heavy in a 16ft aluminum boat and that they are more maintance and slow. Are the 4-strokes easy to maintain as far as oil changes and what not? If the max power for the boats i am looking at is 50hp, will a 4-stroke 50hp do well?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Give the Evinrude Etec a close look 240 lbs very clean I believe the only 2 stroke allowed on Lake Tohoe.Not sure but I think something like no maintenance for 3 years.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Back to the original question, personally, it would be the lowe. Newer Trackers have had quite a few issues, and unless it was free, I wouldn't own one, and if it was free, I would resell it, and buy an alumacraft, lowe, or Xpress. I know a few people with the lowes, who absolutely love them. Also know quite a few people in the boat dealership business, who absolutely hate having to deal with crap on Trackers. You can buy any boat without pre rig. The dealers don't always like doing that, as it is a pain for them, but it can be done, and has quite a bit.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I have a '95 Lowe 14' Big Jon and have had zero problems. It's tight as a drum and my old 25 horse Evinrude can push it to 35 MPH, even with the center console and bow trolling motor I added.