Low Spark, engine is rough

dsarazen

Cadet
I've got a GM/Crusader 454 inboard with an original "points and condenser" distributor. The motor runs rough and doesn't produce enough spark. I've replaced the coil and the points and condenser, but it still is not right. I want to upgrade to an electronic ignition...will this likely solve my problem?

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Low Spark, engine is rough

Fullsail: i would try to solve the problem 1st. By swapping out to elec ign may solve the problem but before you do this i would make sure your getting correct voltage to coil 1st. I just fired my 3.0 with points and have all brand new components. Didnt have boat wiring figured out yet so i gave the points 12 v's off the battery and it runs strong. You may wanta try to take everything off coil except for dist - onto coil and + from pos. terminal on battery. At least this will let you know if your points/cond are installed correclty. Dont run it too long like this as points dont like 12 V's to much. <br /><br />Good luck <br /><br />Big-E

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Low Spark, engine is rough

Did you install a new resistor ? or does the<br />new coil have a built in resistor ?