Low pressure fuel pump is screaming after a few seconds of running 1996 5.0Fi.

RobRoller

Cadet
So now that I believe the raw water pump issues are resolved I also am wondering if the loud screaming sound from the low pressure pump is normal? It starts after about 10 seconds of running and after about a minute of idling the temp of the fuel pump is at 130f. The sound varies in pitch like a cycle which I assume is from it demanding fuel as the float in the fuel resevoir opens and closes? I checked both fuel pumps for any debris and found none and the fuel filter is new. Currently I have the end of the hose from the low pressure pump assembly just dropped in a 5 gallon fuel can for testing while the main tank is being refurbished. Would not having the antisiphon valve on the end cause issues or is this low pressure pump just toast. The boat sat for 2 years from previous owner neglect and gas tank had some pretty awful almost turpentine fuel in it. Wasnt sure if maybe the ethanol garbage somehow ruined the gears in the pump?

RobRoller

Cadet
Almost thought it was power steering pump at first but could tell after touching the fuel pump it was what was whining.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check for a restriction in the anti-siphon valve

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
did you check the strainer in the pickup tube?

what is your fuel pressure?

RobRoller

Cadet
Well might have figured out the issue . It looks like the low pressure fuel pump is on the top of the resevoir. Somehow likely during troubleshooting the previous owner got them swapped.