Lost shift cover on Volvo Penta AQ270

harrisg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It looks like my shift cover, the one at the top of the drive that says "270" parted ways with my VP 270 outdrive. I have 3 questions: 1)Did it cause any kind of problem if it was lost in the water rather than while it was being trailered? <br /><br />2) What will happen if I use the boat until a replacement part comes <br /><br />3)Do you know of any boat salvage yards, preferably on the west coast, who might have Volvo Penta parts?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lost shift cover on Volvo Penta AQ270

question 1 is no<br /> question 2 is nothing and question 3 I am on the wrong coast to answer. I see them without the trim cover all the time. its ugly but hurts nothing if its missing.just be aware its a rather expensive cover.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Lost shift cover on Volvo Penta AQ270

Expensive and you see them on eBay. <br />Remember if you run it without the cover your shift linkage will be exposed. Watch backing up and be careful of dirty water. When putting around the water form the transom tends to swirl around the backside of the drive. If junk is floating around it will sure get stuck in the linkage. Still no big deal just be aware.