Lost reverse after changing impeller

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a 1971 mercury 1150 (115 hp)

Well I changed the water pump, everything went ok except trying to get the intake tube to seat into the waterpump housing.

I put the boat on the lake today and come to find out I have no reverse gear. When I try to shift into reverse it just grinds? What did I do wrong?:redface:

Laddies

Banned
Re: Lost reverse after changing impeller

It sounds like you didn't have the upper and lower shift shafts lined up quite right when you put it together, try puting both in rev when reassembling

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply, before I disassembled the lower unit I put the control box handle in forward, as per manual.

I am going to drop the lower again tomorrow to fix this problem. Before I drop it again should I put the shifter in reverse instead of forward? And what can I do to make sure the upper and lower shift rods are lined up together when I put the lower unit back on?

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

put controller in reverse, carefully move shift cam on lower unit when dropped till its in reverse. it will freewheel one way and turn the driveshaft other way when you rotate prop. when you reinstall lower, rotate prop till driveshaft splines line up and it engages

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks diaric for the reply.

I will try that tomorrow

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

put controller in reverse, carefully move shift cam on lower unit when dropped till its in reverse. it will freewheel one way and turn the driveshaft other way when you rotate prop. when you reinstall lower, rotate prop till driveshaft splines line up and it engages

He will need to know which way it free wheels for reverse.....looking at prop from rear of boat.

It will free wheel ccw and catch cw when it is in reverse........Jerry

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for that info jerry, I am going to drop the lower today.

Both of my Mercs free wheel one way in forward not reverse. Reverse locks up both directions.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

your right, me bad. got it backwards. on mine reverse will wratchet or click both ways. forward locks one way and wratchets the other

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I took another stab at fixing reverse.

I put the shifter in forward, and dropp the lower unit again. I then turned the lower shift shaft counter clockwise, it did not seem to be in forward so I spun it 360 degrees and it sort of jumped? I spun 360 a few times trying to find the gears Forward/neutral/reverse.

I ended up leaving it somewheres that seemed to be forward it would click turning the prop to the right when facing the prop and lock when try to turn into reverse. So I reinstalled the LU.

I still have no reverse gear....it just grinds when I try to put it in gear. What am I doing wrong, I feel like such a moron. Any pictures for help maybe?

redfury

Commander

I don't know specifically, but I do remember my dad doing an impeller and somehow screwing it up to where forward was reverse and reverse was forward. He never changed to back figuring the boat still worked. strange stuff. I'm sure there is just something you missed in the process.

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice

thanks diaric for the reply.

I will try that tomorrow

If it helps...I did the same thing and then made a slight adjustment on the shift cable instead of redoing the lower unit. My shift cable, which runs along the side of the engine near the throttle cable, has an adjustment screw on it. It worked perfectly for me.

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

any more input by chance? :)

LaGaviota

Seaman Apprentice

For what its worth...the same thing happened to me and I adjusted the shift cable enough to compensate. My shift cable has threads on it and is adjustable from the side of the engine. Anyway, it worked for me perfectly. Good luck.

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice

try puting shifter in nuetral and shifting lower unit untill the prop free wheels botj directions with out clicking and see what happens should work i have done it this way when i lost the shifter alignment

etbill52

Seaman

For what its worth...the same thing happened to me and I adjusted the shift cable enough to compensate. My shift cable has threads on it and is adjustable from the side of the engine. Anyway, it worked for me perfectly. Good luck.

Same here I replaced the lower unit 5 or 6 time then I look at the shift cable it like about 1/4" being all the way back, the cable was already out as far as it would go, took the control box a part and justed the 1/4" I needed, push it back far enough, reverse works find.