50 hp 4 stroke quits when putting in gear

mackatt

Recruit
The only way I've been able to keep my motor running when I engage foward or reverse is to crack the throttle open as quickly as possible. I've had the valves reground,which corrected a miss at idle, used a carb balancer, replaced the CDI unit, plugs, fresh gas. Works fine on the muffs, like crap when it's in the water.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 50 hp 4 stroke quits when putting in gear

Have you set the idle according to specs. In the water and in fwd gear?

opps

Recruit

How do you go about setting the idle specs on 125 merc (2 stroke)? my manual only says 675rpm in forward gear. It doesn't say what it should be in neutral. I've only adjusted the top two screws in the carborator. i can't tell if i should move the screws to the left or to the right. I move the screws while the the motor is running - seen fine - until I try to start the motor next time - hard to start. thanks for any help.

mackatt

Recruit

Bill H<br />That's my problem. The idle spec for balancing the carbs is 1000 rpm in neutral, which I've done. But, when I put it into forward, to set the idle to that spec, it staggers and dies. Since my first post, I've run a double concentration of CRC carb cleaner which helped somewhat. When I blip the throttle in neutral, it staggers, but then revs up. That's usually a sign that the idle mixture is too rich, but after 1997, that can't be adjusted.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I don't know much about those newer motors, but I would check timing next.