lost mold process?

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i was reading about a gentleman's rebuild on another site and he mentioned using this process. he mentioned that the stringer was rotten but that the old glass was still good so he glassed over it to stiffen it. would this not be a band aid.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Some will argue yes, some no

Encapsulating wet, rotten wood w more glass certainly isnt 'fixing' it.

Doesnt stop the rotting process

Doesnt prevent freeze/thaw if wet and cold enough

Makes the stringer more rigid then it is, possibly more rigid then it was originally, which might lead to stress cracks along the stringers

I dont know what site, and please.dont post it, but for some people, cosmetic and less then substantial repairs are viewed as sufficient 'for now'. I choose not to believe in that philosophy.

Unfortunately, not all situations are the same, and remotely via the internet is not the best way to assess a boat for repairs. Some bandaids may work, some may not. Some might last a long time, some definitely wont. Some will be safe, some will not be.

Well done, substantial repairs will work, will last a long time and they will be safe, of that I am confident.

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some will argue yes, some no

Encapsulating wet, rotten wood w more glass certainly isnt 'fixing' it.

Doesnt stop the rotting process

Doesnt prevent freeze/thaw if wet and cold enough

Makes the stringer more rigid then it is, possibly more rigid then it was originally, which might lead to stress cracks along the stringers

I dont know what site, and please.dont post it, but for some people, cosmetic and less then substantial repairs are viewed as sufficient 'for now'. I choose not to believe in that philosophy.

Unfortunately, not all situations are the same, and remotely via the internet is not the best way to assess a boat for repairs. Some bandaids may work, some may not. Some might last a long time, some definitely wont. Some will be safe, some will not be.

Well done, substantial repairs will work, will last a long time and they will be safe, of that I am confident.
yeah i dont trust the idea of covering rotted wood it just seems to risky.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I often wonder why folks try such things. I mean you already have access to the rotted stringers. Why not take advantage of that access and remove the rot, clean the area up and do the job better then original. Then maybe only you know it was fixed correctly, but isn't that a great feeling as well. So many times you properly repaired things that will never seen by the general public. But knowing you did the job better then it ever was before is a personal accomplishment that nobody else can understand. JMHO :thumb:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
In some situations it could work fine, but typically the problem is the original factory work was done so poorly there's nothing solid to build on, it's a mess under there and it all needs to come out just to get a solid foundation for a new structure