Lost Keys for Older Boat

bdavis6179

Recruit
I just recently purchased a 1984 Bass Tracker Boat with a 1984 Mercury 60 hp engine and have no keys. I have the serial number of the engine and I don't have the code this is supposed to be on the ignition switch. how can I get another key without changing the ignition switch?

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
Question: Why dont you want to change the ignition switch? Its relatively easy and inexpensive. Most boat owners can tackle this task in less then an hour. You can buy an after market one as long as it has the same positions you can proceed.

Alumarine

Captain
For that era I think there's only a small number of keys that they used.
A lot of merc dealers will have a ring with a bunch of keys on it that you can use to match it up.
It will require you taking the boat or control to them or the ring of keys to the boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
^+1..... what he said. I think there were maybe a dozen keys available in 1984

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, there are only about 10 Mercury OB keys. If you open the control, the key code is usually written on the ign keyswitch. Alternatively, you can take the rig to the Mercury Dealer, and he will try each key until he finds a match.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
1984 lock cylinder... That has seen a ton of water/salt/sand. A brand new Sierra one is $22. Just replace it!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you do decide to change the ign keyswitch, and it is inside a MerControl, you will want to get an OEM or clone of the OEM switch, so it will fit inside the control. Not all will.