Lost bill of sale

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice
Bought project boat 10 years ago (only $550) but never transferred the title. I know I should have but never did.
I contacted the owner several years ago for another bill of sale but he was no help.
Should I just get rid of boat or is there a way to get the title transferred?
1978 16ft Glastron with Evinrude 115 outboard.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not knowing where you are, my recommendation is to contact your local registration authority

In some states, you have a yard planter

In other states you may be OK

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice
Not knowing where you are, my recommendation is to contact your local registration authority

In some states, you have a yard planter

In other states you may be OK
yes, I am in Dallas and the wildlife and Fisheries said I will need to contact the seller but was wondering if there was some other way.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I received my boat for free, it was in pieces with lots of missing parts. Because I registered a trailer for it, the government eventually contacted me regarding a possible boat purchase ( 2 years later ). They were looking for the tax.
I created a document outlining exactly how I received the boat and then had it notarized by a lawyer. It was accepted.
Maybe you could provide a notarized document that the authority would accept in place of ther bill of sale.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I received my boat for free, it was in pieces with lots of missing parts. Because I registered a trailer for it, the government eventually contacted me regarding a possible boat purchase ( 2 years later ). They were looking for the tax.
I created a document outlining exactly how I received the boat and then had it notarized by a lawyer. It was accepted.
Maybe you could provide a notarized document that the authority would accept in place of ther bill of sale.
Was this in NW Ontario?

If so, completely irrelevant to ops experience in Texas.

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice
I guess I will keep searching for my bill of sale, it could be around my house somewhere. Thanks

KXP

Seaman Apprentice
Forge a bill of sale you didn’t steal it unless you need it notorized then you can’t do it.

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ So ... don't do that.

You might ask Wildlife and Fisheries the process to register a boat if you rebuild one that was abandoned. They may have a path for you there.

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice
^^^^ So ... don't do that.

You might ask Wildlife and Fisheries the process to register a boat if you rebuild one that was abandoned. They may have a path for you there.
Will call tomorrow and see if there are other options. The boat may not be worth it but I think the motor is still good.

southkogs

Staff member
Plenty of hulls out there looking for a good outboard. You might also check and see if your state requires the outboard to be registered. If not (I don't know of too many) then that can be put on another hull relatively easily.

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice
Plenty of hulls out there looking for a good outboard. You might also check and see if your state requires the outboard to be registered. If not (I don't know of too many) then that can be put on another hull relatively easily.
I will need the bill of sale, my boat and my motor both have a title but same bill of sale.

Royglastron

Seaman Apprentice
Called Texas Park and Wildlife and they said I could apply for a bonded title and send it to Austin. I think I may try that option,