Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

I've lost minor things over the years, but I'm on quite a roll this season. So far I've lost a brand new mooring cover( blew off at the dock) and I've scoured the whole marina bottom. I think it might have blown into someone's car. A few day's later I was out in my fishing boat and my brand new prop fell off so you could say I've lost about $600 just this year! lol

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Was out by myself last week trying to get the motor to act up so I could hopefully get a diagnosis on what's wrong. It was hot out and since it had been acting up the day before after stopping to swim, I figured might as well try and recreate the conditions.
Anchored in a small bay across from a swimming beach put the swim ladder over the gunwale and dove in. After a very refreshing swim I got back in and called the wife to let her know that the boat was of course running great (won't act up when you want it to) and that I was ok. About the time I got off the phone I noticed a beach ball from the swim area had floated about halfway across the bay, so I figured I'd be nice and go retrieve it.
Boat fired right up(of course), pulled anchor, and motored over to retrieve the ball. As I scooped the ball up I saw a pool noodle not far so I scooped it up too. As I rode up to the boat area next to the beach a kid came over to say thanks(his Mom did too) and retrieve the items.
I took off ran around some more and was amazed at how great the boat was running. Figured I'd give it one shot at acting up and stopped for another swim. Anchor out, Swim.... lad...... Oh Carp! Yep never pulled it back in, never heard it come off.

Beach toys saved - 2
Boat items lost - 1

So much for karma. :)

cj7ole

Seaman

I took off once without remembering to pull the anchor and all 100 feet of line, looked back and it was on top planing at 30 mph. What to do? Just did a hard turn while throttling down and got lucky, boat stopped before the anchor hit bottom. It was kind of akward as I was in my FIL's boat with him aboard.

briangcc

Commander

(1) FRS radio lost to Black Lake. It was wrapped up in a sweatshirt of mine that I handed to my mom as I was getting out of the boat. She didn't realize it was in there. We knew right where it dropped but since we couldn't see the bottom of the lake, it was a goner.

(1) Anchor caught. Drifting in the St Lawrence River something grabbed the hook of my pole. Now this is a 6' Zebco $10 special from K-mart that I've had for YEARS and a Shimano reel with 10lb test. I start fighting this thing thinking I have the cousin of Moby **** on. As it gets closer to the surface, I found out I had caught the 3/8" rope that was still attached to it. Probably a good 20' of rope and a mushroom anchor in darn near pristine condition. Only thing I can think of was that the original owner was near the shipping channel when one of the freighters came through and with the large wake from the freighter it was either cut the anchor OR lose the boat.

scipper77

Commander

Found an old aluminum chair with my anchor today. Had an IBM logo. Threw it back where I found it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

not to preach, but don't throw trash back overboard; bring it home please.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Giver AND receiver!

I thought I lost the 10 inch square screen that goes in the window in my head while the boat was being towed to drydock last year. It had sat wedged under the edge of one of my solar panels for most of last season, since I was frequently pulling the shower head out of the window to use for washdown.

Guess I must have lost it on the water some time near the end of the season, as I was just wading around in the waist deep water (the lake is kinda low right now), about 100 yards from my mooring when I saw a corner of something sticking out of the sand.

Picked it up, and it was my screen!

Have to scrape some crawly things off it and shine the aluminum frame up again, but otherwise, its in good shape.

Summers Wolf, if you're ever around Malletts Bay for any reason, look for a big boxy houseboat, and come raft up!

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice

This past winter I was ice fishing with a FishTV in 30' of water. At the end of the day I accidentally knocked my shades into the hole. I called my son over to see if we'd be able to see them go by and we actually watched them land directly on my jig sitting near the bottom. Set the hook and brought 'em back up. Another lost and found all in one!

4FUN4LATER

Cadet

this will apply to both the boating and fishing hero's. years ago my wife and i were fishing a small lake in the high mountains east of salt lake city. she thought that if rowed the six man rubber raft we were fishing from fast enough she could troll. mistake one. when i had the chance to fish i cast a long line and as my arm came down my funny bone hit the edge of the raft. automatic release and poll went sailing. i had just purchased that poll that year and i was not about to buy a new one. using her poll and the largest hook in my arsenal I began to troll back over the area where the poll was last seen. about the third trip over i snaged something. another poll. looks like i am not the only one to play that game. end of story, twenty years later i am still using the retrieved poll.

Maclin

Admiral

This past winter I was ice fishing with a FishTV in 30' of water. At the end of the day I accidentally knocked my shades into the hole. I called my son over to see if we'd be able to see them go by and we actually watched them land directly on my jig sitting near the bottom. Set the hook and brought 'em back up. Another lost and found all in one!

THAT is crazy luck!

Quack Addict

Cadet

Was salmon fishing with my idiot brother a couple years ago. I had rigged a Dipsy Diver, snubber, rotator and meat rig with teasers. He said he'd take care of the rest as I set another rod. A minute later he's asking me to rig him another setup - he chucked it (~$50 worth of gear) in the lake before attaching it to the line coming off the fishing pole. oops!

Had a salmon break our line right at the back of the boat another time and took off with the lure still attached to him. A couple minutes later (seriously), one of the leadcore rods starts hammering. Leadcore is dacron line with a lead filament in the middle and depth achieved depends on the amount of line deployed - usually 300+' or so. The fish that came on the leadcore was the same fish that had just broken off minutes earlier. The hook on the leadcore lure was hooked through the eye of the swivel on the lure the fish had broken off. Pretty sure I will never see that again.

Found an inline planer board floating a couple years ago. The owner had written his boat name on it. As chance would have it that boat was 1 dock down from us at the launch when we came back in. Although planning to give him his board back I didn't acknowledge having it right off. I asked how well they did fishing. The guy was a total a-hole in response. Finders keepers that day.

Junkshow

Cadet

Well My Admiral is new to the water. Grew up on horseback, not floating.
This weekend she became a giver as I heard the cry and then question of "does it float?"
Why don't swim ladders float and why are they so expensive ?
I let her know that there is no boater out there that hasn't sent something overboard. Cracked a beer and kept making jokes about it for the rest of the day. Wonder what treasure awaits us on the back side.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Lost my share of fishing tackle including two poles and reels overboard in a canoe tipping with my wife many years ago, also lost boating gear such as fenders, flag and pole, and such. Found a lot of fishing lures, bobbers, a good ski life vest, and a nice knife while bank fishing many moons ago. Joe

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Lost my starboard side window trim ring in the Mississippi by St. Paul, MN. I imagine it's down in New Orleans by now.....:D

catfish58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lost(and found) my best catfish rod/reel combo. Rod holder had a small crack in the pin that goes into the mount. A nice cat hit so hard the pin snapped and the whole rig goes overboard. Later,when I pull anchor there is a wad of 20# test wrapped around the anchor rope. As I pull it in my rod popped up. The thief(18 lb.blue cat)was still hooked.

JOSHinIA

Cadet

Not the only thing I've lost, but probably the funniest. I'd just gotten into using bait casting reels as well as braided line. Out bass fishing one day with one of my wal-mart dollar spinners on, cast once and managed to get a pretty nasty birds nest. Thinking I got it all out, reeled all my line in and went back to fishing. Apparently I didn't get the birds nest completely out, there was a spot on the spool where the line had reversed itself and spun backwards on the reel and was still pretty tangled. Anyhoo, the next time I went to cast, the spool spun real good until it hit that particular spot and suddenly stopped dead...my spinner didn't, the line just snapped and I watched as it sailed off into distance and *plop* into the water. Being a cheapo, I had a good laugh, fixed my line and tied on another spinner. Still makes me laugh...

Josh

dwco5051

Commander

Not the only thing I've lost, but probably the funniest. I'd just gotten into using bait casting reels as well as braided line. Out bass fishing one day with one of my wal-mart dollar spinners on, cast once and managed to get a pretty nasty birds nest. Thinking I got it all out, reeled all my line in and went back to fishing. Apparently I didn't get the birds nest completely out, there was a spot on the spool where the line had reversed itself and spun backwards on the reel and was still pretty tangled. Anyhoo, the next time I went to cast, the spool spun real good until it hit that particular spot and suddenly stopped dead...my spinner didn't, the line just snapped and I watched as it sailed off into distance and *plop* into the water. Being a cheapo, I had a good laugh, fixed my line and tied on another spinner. Still makes me laugh...

Josh

My previous wife did same thing one time with a rather heavy spinner bait. It seemed like about 5 seconds elapsed between when we heard the mono snap and the noise of the lure landing in the trees far up on a steep wooded bank.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

My brother and I were canoeing down the Cannon River in MN. Going around a bend we snagged a branch on a downed tree and it tipped us over. I had just been snapping pix and hadn't secured my camera and it was deep sixed. My brother yelled that he had the camera strap wrapped around his ankle. He pulled it up and it was a camera, but not the one I lost. Someone else had apperantly found the same snag. Never found my camera and the one he found was beyond repair.

Glenn

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found, found, and found. I have a divers mask and gear onboard and kind of a hobby to check out what people drop while loading their boat at the docks. Found ankle brackets by the dozens, 2 diamond rings, sunglasses, keys, necklaces, a full tackle box, lighters all kinds of toys and even some pocket knifes. Almost better then having a metal detector.

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ive mainly lost, sunglasses, hats, and the remote to my stereo.. lost a popped tube once but found it on the way back.

found some beers, some water balloons. and a camera. it was from 2008 and the memory card still worked once i cleaned it up!