loss of wot 1998 e 200

jjhjrcmh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
88
Hello, I have a 1998 E200TXECM. I rebuilt carbs, did a lync and sync checked timing right at 18 degrees. Replaced fuel pump and tube into tank. Put a clear tube in line checking for air bubbles none solid fuel delivery. Right out of the hole she shot right on down the ICW I backed off throttle as a boat went by and she just went to 3500rpm and thats were she stayed. checked spark while on water and had on all 6 cylinders. Any ideas??? I am at a loss. Did notice today the reg/rectifier was putting out 18-19 volts as it reved up. Checked with meter and it was right there. If to much charging voltage will that cause these problems? I want to thank you for this site its great and appriciate the answers.
 

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
May 8, 2011
Messages
1,180
Re: loss of wot 1998 e 200

not sure what spects call for on your motor, but that sounds high to me. Maybe somewhere around 14 volts I would think. Look at butterflys, are they opening all the way at wide open throttle? post back
 

jjhjrcmh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
88
Re: loss of wot 1998 e 200

Forgot that yes yhey are opening all the way. I thought about the voltage. Could it cause aproblem with the power pack
 

hidef

Lieutenant
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
1,465
Re: loss of wot 1998 e 200

Did you use a spark tester to check your spark you be jumping a 7/16 gap.
 

jjhjrcmh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
88
Re: loss of wot 1998 e 200

No used the timing light to check. Also the pump ball never went flat just a little soft.
 

jjhjrcmh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
88
Re: loss of wot 1998 e 200

Yes all are opening. I did a lync and sync and checked. Last night I timed the ideling and then checked the coils. Found after 10-15 minutes of run time #6 coil would stop firing. Replaced coil and re-ran testing and coil stayed on line. With meter coil would check good. So everyone get a timing light along with spark tester and meter. Can save you in the long run.
 
Top