Loss of W.O.T. RPM..or, get up and go is gone...further advice needed.

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1995 Four Winns 115 Evinrude on a jet.

Has no power. Boat goes 5-10 mph max. Starts great. Idles great. These are the fixes I have tried...

After removing from the lake of really slow boating, I tried replacing spark plugs and hooked up the 6 gal. fresh gas tank from my outboard. FLushed lined to carb to make sure I had fresh gas. Started motor on trailer and it reved up real nice. Way faster RPMs then when I was in the water.

Took boat to lake...same problem. Tried priming bulb to force gas in...no difference. Tried manually working carb butterflies, little to no difference. Dissapointed I took the boat home.

Today, I tested spark, all good, tested compression...all good. Read in service manual as to how the throttle linkage should be set. Linkage is as it is supposed to be. Also read in service manual about "plugged or leaking pulse limiter. Followed instructions and removed hose and limiter and back washed with carb. cleaner. Motor fired right up and RPM's are back to normal. Oh, by the way...I only ran motor for a few seconds then shut it off.

So, if I take it back to the lake...I'm worried I will have the same issue. Is there something on the jet or something else that can be causing this? Plugged muffler perhaps??? Jet pump damaged perhaps???? Sea weed in the flux capacitor perhaps?????

Please shed some light my way.

Thank you

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Loss of W.O.T. RPM..or, get up and go is gone...further advice needed.

Are both carbs opening? What rpms is it able to get up to? Do you have spark on all cylinders?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it's a jet you should maybe look in that area.

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, as I said in the original post. I checked spark. also checked linkage, and compression. I don't have a tach. so I don't know the RPM numbers exactly. I can tell the RPM difference by listening. I just don't understand why I can get full RPM out of the water and NOT when its in the water????

When you say to look at the jet, can you be more specific as to what to look at?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Clogged intake, worn impeller, shift linkage misadjusted.

BonairII

Commander

I just don't understand why I can get full RPM out of the water and NOT when its in the water????

It's a common problem. There's no load on the motor when it's on muffs.

Is the motor 'boggin' when you hit the throttle or just not doing anything?

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The motor speeds up and then slows slightly and stays there. RPMs seem to be just above idle. I'm not sure that is a good explanation.

OK...then I'm confused a lot. If it is so common, then how is it I cant find a solution? I have tried everything that has been suggested, I have looked on other forums and tried that. One guy even suggestion I change the prop! Kinda hard when the boat has no prop. But I tried it....it didn't work either.

Here is a video with the boat in the water going as fast as I can get it to go....about 10mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNqgdZt_QW8

You can see the flywheel is not going all that fast. The sound quality sucks so you have to listen closely.

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Clogged intake, worn impeller, shift linkage misadjusted.

What intake is clogged? Water?, gas?, carbs? Are you talking about water pump impeller, or jet impeller? Shift linkage is correct

sunwest

Cadet

I have to agree on this, it's a common problem but I have'nt yet seen it solved. I have read through several post alot of places. and it always check compression, check plugs, carbs, and ingnition but yet has any of this fixed this issue without maybe throwing parts at it still. cause nobody has narrowed this issue down. I had the same issue with my motor and several diffrent answers acourse we know it one of these but what we want to know. witch one? This has become a big isssue lately . cant belive nobody hasnt found the problem. I've heard cyl, carbs, fuel pump, stator, cdi and on and on. I cant afford to buy all the parts to see o'well that wasnt it then buy the next and I done alot of research on this matter to try and see if anyone has found it... nothing nowhere.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Listening to the video, I didn't hear any of the sound you hear when the carbs open up. I saw part of the linkage moving at the bottom of the frame. Any chance you could do a video showing the linkages on the engine moving as the throttle is opened?

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Good point Jimmbo, I caught the same thing but you asked first.

owl

Cadet

I have a similar issue with my 1994 Fling (turbojet115). Starts, runs, accelerate and performs well. It sounds great, no miss, spit or sputter, BUT it just levels off at what sound & feels like half throttle. Not quite enough to get on plane. I have installed a new stator, powerpac, and spark plugs. I removed the oil reservoir and added an electric fuel pump before the VRO (would not run without primer). All this was done to get the motor to run. I have not checked the compression with a gauge but the finger says all 4 cylinders are good. The carbs are synched and open as they should. The timing can’t be off that far if it is off at all. I want to think someone has installed some type of restrictor to limit use for children (that is how it feels). Could the VRO limit the amount of fuel the electric fuel pump supplies to the carburetors? I bought this boat hoping to use it on the water during our hot weather spell, not spend my afternoons with it in the driveway. Anybody got any ideas?
I’m not trying to steal this thread just looking for an answer to similar problems
Jim

sunwest

Cadet

I have a similar issue with my 1994 Fling (turbojet115). Starts, runs, accelerate and performs well. It sounds great, no miss, spit or sputter, BUT it just levels off at what sound & feels like half throttle. Not quite enough to get on plane. I have installed a new stator, powerpac, and spark plugs. I removed the oil reservoir and added an electric fuel pump before the VRO (would not run without primer). All this was done to get the motor to run. I have not checked the compression with a gauge but the finger says all 4 cylinders are good. The carbs are synched and open as they should. The timing can’t be off that far if it is off at all. I want to think someone has installed some type of restrictor to limit use for children (that is how it feels). Could the VRO limit the amount of fuel the electric fuel pump supplies to the carburetors? I bought this boat hoping to use it on the water during our hot weather spell, not spend my afternoons with it in the driveway. Anybody got any ideas?
I’m not trying to steal this thread just looking for an answer to similar problems
Jim

Good luck I have looked through these post for about a month or longer not trying to be mean or put anyone down. But you can look for yourself anything that has to do with this issue is becoming a large problem and adding more everyday I have notice. but this issue has yet to be narrowed down. The problem I guess is it can be somany things that can cause this issue, Fuel,stator,carbs, you name it. But just crazy how all the sudden it becoming more of an issue..... I hope someday I can find a post on here we someone had found and posted the problem....Im still searching for the post and the reason. GOOD LUCK!!!

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The linkage is fine. I checked it using the service manual. There is no problem with spark, compression or anything like that.

This is what I found yesterday. The exhaust hose (part #340969) has an inner hose that collapsed and blocked the exhaust. You cant see it from the outside. With all that back pressure, you get no power. Like the proverbial potato in the exhaust pipe. Squeeze the hose. if it feels firm, it might be ok...mine was real soft in the area that colapsed.

I have not yet confirmed the solution as I also found that the bearings and seals on the jet are shot. I ordered those parts and am hopeful I will be able to put the boat in the water this weekend to test.

Sunwest and Owl, you may have the same issue....take a look

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

The linkage is fine. I checked it using the service manual. There is no problem with spark, compression or anything like that.

This is what I found yesterday. The exhaust hose (part #340969) has an inner hose that collapsed and blocked the exhaust. You cant see it from the outside. With all that back pressure, you get no power. Like the proverbial potato in the exhaust pipe. Squeeze the hose. if it feels firm, it might be ok...mine was real soft in the area that colapsed.

I have not yet confirmed the solution as I also found that the bearings and seals on the jet are shot. I ordered those parts and am hopeful I will be able to put the boat in the water this weekend to test.

Sunsweet and Owl, you may have the same issue....take a look

I had a Jetski do that. It would idle fine, once you hit the gas, an inner flap of rubber would drop down in the exhaust hose and choke it out.

sunwest

Cadet

Sunsweet and Owl, you may have the same issue....take a look

Hope that does fix it, Were is that hose located? I got a manual coming so this will help.Im in th mist of changing base gasket and seal myself right now I wont be back on water for about another 2 weeks. but will check to see if that what it is...thanks

owl

Cadet

Thanks Huntlybill
I’ll check the hose in the morning. I hope this is the fix we have been looking for.
Jim

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Took the boat out and it jumped up to 32 MPH. Along with changing that hose we flushed the cooling system. The combination fixed our problem. The boat ran fine for about 45 min. when the fuel pump failed and I was dead in the water....but that is a whole other talk show!!

Sunwest...google the part number. You will get a parts breakdown diagram of the hose. This will show you which hose it is. Check all of them.

owl

Cadet

I took the hose off and couldn’t see an issue, but there is a soft spot. I used a spring from the inside of an automobile radiator nose on the inside of my exhaust hose (can’t collapse completely). Took the boat to the lake an NO difference. Still hard starting (needs more primer) but runs well once started. Moves through the water and sounds great, hit the throttle and here we go to about 15MPH and that’s where it levels off. Could the VRO restrict the fuel flow? Can I bypass the VRO and pump fuel directly to the carbs? Can I install an outboard fuel pump on the motor and if so what pump?
I had great visions of the exhaust hose solving my problems but now I just want this *|#^!{& boat to ???
Thanks for the help
Jim 

sunwest

Cadet

Took the boat out and it jumped up to 32 MPH. Along with changing that hose we flushed the cooling system. The combination fixed our problem. The boat ran fine for about 45 min. when the fuel pump failed and I was dead in the water....but that is a whole other talk show!!

Sunwest...google the part number. You will get a parts breakdown diagram of the hose. This will show you which hose it is. Check all of them.

I searched that part # 340969) but just can see the hose. Not no digrams....I have looked all over around the exhauset housing, motor. No hose that looks nothing like any of them I have a 1980 150hp Evinrude modle # E150TRLCSR Does this outboard motor have that hose or no?