losing power steering fluid

kevs_gone

Cadet
I have a Volvo 570 duo in a 90 Carver 2557. I am losing power steering fluid. The pressure hose was in poor shape (all the rubber missing, just the braided steel showing) so I pulled the pump and both hoses. I replaced both the pressure and the return hoses and checked the pump for leaks. And I am still losing fluid. The pump is not the problem as it is clean and dry and the connections at the steering sector? are also clean and dry as are the hoses themselves. I am getting oil in the bilge but I also have a problem with the trim pump leaking so I'm not sure if the oil in the bilge is from the trim or the power steering system. Any ideas? I have no clue what I'm doing as this is my first I/O drive unit, I've been an inboard person.

kevs_gone

Cadet
Re: losing power steering fluid

After looking at the parts diagram, it looks like I could have a leak in the power steering oil cooler. Is there any way to tell for sure? the boat is in a slip and I do not have a trailer (29'10" LOA). Can the oil cooler be bypassed to see if the leak stops?

RJLeuwen

Seaman

Sure, just connect the 2 hoses on the cooler to a peice of pipe, you will get more oil in your bilge, but you'll most likely find your problem.

RJ

kevs_gone

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that tomorrow. How long can I leave te cooler bypassed? Will it hurt it to run it bypassed and just not have a cooler on the power steering system?

Kevin

RJLeuwen

Seaman

I would only run it enough to make sure the oil level is no longer going down.

May over heat the pump if you run it to long by passed.

RJ

kevs_gone

Cadet

Can the oil cooler be replaced while the boat is in the water or will I have to have it hauled out to complete the repair?

RJLeuwen

Seaman

You can do it in the water as long as you have the new cooler before you pull the old one off, also depends on where it is mounted as to how much water may flow in while you are replacing it:D

RJ

kevs_gone

Cadet

Thank you so much for the info. I am going to try the bypass tomorrow. After looking back on what it's doing and what I'm seeing , I am almost pasitive that the cooler is the problem. After running it for a while in the slip this afternoon and adding fluid to the system I had an oil slick around the boat. I am nervous about replacing it while it's in te water if the fitting is below/at the water line. I'm really not sure because it's under the swim platform.

Thanks again.