Looking to Buy Used PWC... Need Advice

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to get a used PWC... My budget is around $10k. I am very new to seadoos. I drove them a few times... But that about it. However, I own a boat... What are the differences in brands? What should I pay attention when I look at these machines?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Looking to Buy Used PWC... Need Advice

Jet Skis are fast and agile. Service life is OK, but the dealer network isn't as good. Poor storage capacity. Lots of youngsters love them though.

Waverunners are bulletproof and easy to maintain. Good dealer network. Good fuel economy. Maybe not as stable as some others. Medium storage capacity. A good "family" cruiser.

SeaDoos have a bad rep for breaking down, but current 4-stroke models are also bulletproof. (hard to live down a bad rep sometimes). Dealer network is the best. Best ergos and appearance. Best seating comfort. Best overall ride and handling.

IMHO, there are only 2 choices - between a Seadoo or a Yamaha. Kawasaki is passable, so second choice. Honda is ugly as sin, and no dealers around. Any of the others are junk.

Take a ride on the two I mentioned. The Yamai will be fun, but the Seadoo will make you yell "yeehaaa" and not want to stop the demo ride.

Whatever you do, don't buy used unless it was owned by an old lady who had it serviced monthly by her son the dealer (LOL). Many (if not most) PWCers don't know how to maintain them and drive them into the ground. For a 10K budget you could buy the top of the line S-D GTI. Unless you're a speed hound, it should provide satisfactory performance. A second choice would be a Yami FX.

We've been riding for 20+ years and have owned several differernt models. Others may have a different opinion - its just like Ford vs. Chevy.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

What should I inspect when I buy one? What kind of maintenance it requires? Any common isues that I should watch for?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

What should I inspect when I buy one? What kind of maintenance it requires? Any common isues that I should watch for?

A new one will come with an owner's manual. Follow the book to the letter and you'll be fine. Buy the service manual - its really easy stuff and requires no more than ordinary tools.

If you must buy used, ask to see the owner's records of services done. If he did it all himself, ask for the shop manual so you'll know he knew how to do it. Inspect the hull for cracks and dents, the innards for water, mold, corrosion, etc. Look at the impeller for damage. Not much different than a boat.

For a $10K budget you should have no problem finding a brand new 1 or 2 year old left over model. I hear they go for as low as about $7k in some places.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

A new one will come with an owner's manual. Follow the book to the letter and you'll be fine. Buy the service manual - its really easy stuff and requires no more than ordinary tools.

If you must buy used, ask to see the owner's records of services done. If he did it all himself, ask for the shop manual so you'll know he knew how to do it. Inspect the hull for cracks and dents, the innards for water, mold, corrosion, etc. Look at the impeller for damage. Not much different than a boat.

For a $10K budget you should have no problem finding a brand new 1 or 2 year old left over model. I hear they go for as low as about $7k in some places.

How do I check impeller? Does it needs to be changed every once in a while? How much does it cost to do replace it?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

How do I check impeller? Does it needs to be changed every once in a while? How much does it cost to do replace it?

Crawl under the boat and look at it. The impeller is SS and should be smooth with no nicks. Surrounding it is a wear ring that should also be damage free, and tight against the impeller.

Both should last the life of the machine (IMHO) if you take proper care of it. But go in shallow water and suck up some rocks and you'll do it in. Or, suck up floating debris like a big stick and you could bend the shaft. Once it starts wobbling it could wear the ring down. Even worse, the vibration can start to loosen bolts on other components.

Go look at a new PWC and you'll know what it should look like. A replacement is probably in the $500-600 range with labor. If you're looking at a used PWC, sometimes a bent shaft is not always self evident. New is always better.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don;t buy a 2 stroke, but with a 10k budget, that won't be an issue. Also, IMO, I would avoid a super-charged model. but, many will dissagree. Yamaha's are more reliable, and Seadoos are probably more fun and more complicated.

For 10K, I would look for a Yamaha VXR or a VXS. That is what I am looking at buying. It has Yamaha's bullet proof, 180 hp, naturally aspirated 1.8L motor. It is also a light weight machine. You get super-charged performance, but it does not have one.

The 2012's are going for $9600 right now with a three year warranty. In May, they will be 12k all day.