Looking to buy a new Jetski

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hey folks!

Looking to buy my first Jetski and wondering if I could get some input. The two that I am currently looking at are a 2004 SeaDoo GTI which is a 2 stroke and a 2002 SeaDoo GTX 155 which is a 4 stroke. So far, I have only seen the 2004 in person, but just visual and did not hear it run yet. (I will before final purchase) Seems like a solid ski, but cosmetically is a bit meh. Seat will definitely need to be recovered as it had a hole currently covered by duct tape. Graphics are a bit scratched but didn't really see anything glaring or broken, black plastic parts are dull. It is a very basic ski though. No mirrors, only has a fuel gauge. There is a spot for another gauge like a tach, but it has a stock black SeaDoo cover over it, so I'm assuming maybe an option to add one but wasn't included in that package? Advantage is I have some mutual friends with the seller. And one of my friends has actually ridden the ski and said it was fun and comfortable. It is also literally 3 minutes from my house. Jet pump was just replaced back in May of 2022 and he showed me all the paper work for it and he said maintained by a marine mechanic the whole time he had it. The 2002 looks to be a very nice ski from pictures I have seen. Definitely has more options. Mirrors, multiple gauges and really nice looking. Owner said some scratches and gel chips here and there, but nothing not expected on a 20 year old ski. Down side is it's about an hour away, and I know nothing about this seller. He has been very responsive and offered to and answered any questions I had. I am going to see and hear it run tomorrow. Overall so far, the 2002 is a better looking ski, and has more bells and whistles But 2004 is 2 years newer ( but doesn't look it) and is 2 stroke. The 2002 is $300 cheaper than the 2004. So, I guess I am looking for any additional input anyone can give me on either of these models that I should be aware of? Sorry for the long story lol, and appreciate any insight.

Thanks!!!!

alldodge

Staff member
Go with a 4 stroke, don't even thing about the 2 stroke. Had a GTI 2 stroke and now the GTX 4 stroke. Both machines run the same top speed and main reason is HP to weight. The GTI is lighter then the GTX, so GTX needs more power.

The non-super charged GTX 4-Tech is next to bullet proof. Change oil every season and plugs every few years and it will have no major issues. The GTI there was issues with oil injection, then with the rectifier not to say plugs every year

Scott06

Vice Admiral
id to for the one in best shape.

Ill play the other side of the fence. my experince with an older two stroke has been so good i am leary of replacing it with something newer …

We have had a 2004 GTI RFI LE for ten or twelve years. It has been a great ski for us. Very few issues. Bought it with about 100 hours, Did a wear ring around 150 hrs, oil tank was cracked and needed to be replaced to stop weeping oil. ended up buying the Candoo pro software so i could reset the TPS as it was fouling plugs. Did have to replace the jet pump and impeller four years ago, criss threaded the pump oil fill plug, got water in there.
has been a great ski for us seen a lot of hard use, when my girls were younger daily taking them and their friends skiing and tubing for hours.

annual maintenance i change the jet pump oil, i use the expensive sea doo 2 stroke oil , a gallon lasts about a season for me, filter in oil injection system, thats about it.

either way with skiis this old you have to expect some repairs

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks very much for the input gents!! I am no stranger to repairs being a boat owner lol. I luck out that I was an auto tech for about 15 years, so I can generally do my own repairs. Definitely expect some on something older like this, just wanted to make sure there weren't any glaring "holy crap don't buy one of those" warnings lol. So far I haven't found anything to the contrary for either one which is good.

Buster53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You know, there is a SeaDoo owners forum. You might want to post your questions over there

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We had a GTI 2-stroke AND a 2022 GTX 4-stroke. We got rid of the GTI BECAUSE it was a PITA. Maintenance was horrendous, everything kept breaking. We are not kids and took exceptional care of it. After owning a 4-stroke you couldn't GIVE me a 2-stroke.

We kept the GTX for 13 years and never put a dime into it other than maintenance items per the manual. The only reason we traded it in was because we saw the new technology Yamaha had to offer and couldn't resist the upgrade. Now, with 8 seasons on the Yami you couldn't GIVE me a SeaDoo. The ease of maintenance alone made the expense of buying it worthwhile.

Regardless, you have to realize that PWCs are often ridden hard and put away wet. Unlike an auto, many people are clueless on how to take care of a boat. I would personally be very leery of buying a 20 year old ski.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
I would reconsider and buy a boat, much more versatile!
Already own a boat. Ski is a supplemental toy to have at the Marina when I don't want to take the boat out and just quickly blast out and have a little fun.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
We had a GTI 2-stroke AND a 2022 GTX 4-stroke. We got rid of the GTI BECAUSE it was a PITA. Maintenance was horrendous, everything kept breaking. We are not kids and took exceptional care of it. After owning a 4-stroke you couldn't GIVE me a 2-stroke.

We kept the GTX for 13 years and never put a dime into it other than maintenance items per the manual. The only reason we traded it in was because we saw the new technology Yamaha had to offer and couldn't resist the upgrade. Now, with 8 seasons on the Yami you couldn't GIVE me a SeaDoo. The ease of maintenance alone made the expense of buying it worthwhile.

Regardless, you have to realize that PWCs are often ridden hard and put away wet. Unlike an auto, many people are clueless on how to take care of a boat. I would personally be very leery of buying a 20 year old ski.
I get ya, but I don't really have the funds to spend on a newer ski. This is a work bonus present to myself. I'm not looking for anything crazy, just something else to play with when hanging at the marina. Definitely a dice roll I know, especially older, but hoping I can get a nice deal, and I am capable of fixing anything else that comes up...which is hopefully just minor stuff.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I get ya, but I don't really have the funds to spend on a newer ski. This is a work bonus present to myself. I'm not looking for anything crazy, just something else to play with when hanging at the marina. Definitely a dice roll I know, especially older, but hoping I can get a nice deal, and I am capable of fixing anything else that comes up...which is hopefully just minor stuff.
I wish you the best, and hope its just minor stuff as well. It's good you can do your some of your own maintenance. Just changing the spark plugs or a battery requires taking lots of parts off just to get access. Marinas charge by the hour so even a winterization costs big bucks.

The GTX is a solid platform and has a good service record. Not so much for the GTI.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
we couldn’t have more opposite experiences with owning a GTI ski, maybe i got lucky but ours has been very good on maintenance. Certainly not perfect but i looked through my receipts and including the Candoo software ($450) and a OEM cover ive spent just under $2 k.

maybe i got lucky . How long have the folks owned them? If its been years like me you know they couldn’t have been too much of a pita , esoecially if the guy was having simple repairs like jet pump replacement done by a mechanic.

i think black tip sells seat covers or replacement seats

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Eons ago I had a 2-stroke motorcycle with oil injection. Either too much or too little oil. I swore I'd never buy another oil injected 2-stroke. Then what did I do? Buy a FGTI.

The oil tank cracked. Oil everywhere. Had to almost disassemble the whole thing to replace the tank. Then the oil pump went. Apparently not enough oil being pumped and I'm guessing it ran lean and messed up the bearings. Not noticeable, but apparently enough vibration to cause the head bolts to shear off one at a time. Then the boat sank. Water injection, not good on the engine. Finally traded it in. Got pennies on a trade.

The dealer sold the business and opened up a new store. Now selling Yamis. He remembered me from having bought 3 Doos from him before. Having a discussion while writing up the papers he mentioned that all his buddies were chastising him for switching brands. The common jibe was that his service dept. would lose money because Yamis never come back and Doos ALWAYS need repairs.

A close friend got a good deal on a pair of used 2-strokes. He figured he could get them running tip top. They have been sitting in his back yard and have yet to hit the water.

Just my opinion based on 55 years owning boats and 25 years owning 'skis. YMMV.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
So I'm going with the GTX. Just got back from looking at it. In great shape, well taken care of. Was always covered (and comes with custom cover) so exterior looks new. Engine sounds good. Oil looked clean (and it was from last year still) Only issue, which seller brought to my attention before I even asked, was one of the steering rudders on the side (or whatever they are called) that are for off power turning assist was broken off. He told me it was a flawed system that most people take off anyway. I had read about the issue with this system a few days ago and people not liking it. I guess there's an aftermarket kit you get with plastic plates to replace. I need to look into the reason for removal and decide if I want to fix back to OEM or put the aftermarket removal kit on. But I think I got a nice deal here.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
one of the steering rudders on the side (or whatever they are called) that are for off power turning assist was broken off. He told me it was a flawed system that most people take off anyway.
They don't do much but do better with then without. Don't know of anyone (sure there are some) that has removed them. My guess is the Doo got slammed into a dock and broke it

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Would agree with alldodge the steering flaps that come out are basically useless you need a little throttle to steer

Hopefully it works out well for you. If it is well taken care of should last a few more years with out too much work on your end

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Would agree with alldodge the steering flaps that come out are basically useless you need a little throttle to steer

Hopefully it works out well for you. If it is well taken care of should last a few more years with out too much work on your end
I second the well wishes. The 4-Tec is a solid engine and it sounds like you got a well maintained one.

'Skis don't steer because they don't have a rudder. You can only turn if you apply throttle. An experienced rider can work it all out. The naysayers are usually hotrodders that perceive an effect on top speed. They call them training wheels.

I've had them both ways, and personally I Do like the steering vanes. They provide minimal steering and work well when out in the water coming up to an anchored boat. But, JMHO. If it were mine I'd replace the broken one.

Yeah, Ford vs. Chevy. As years have gone by, one copied the other's advancements, and so on. Neither is fundamentally better than the other. Just be sure you have a good local dealer.