Looking for used outboard Bow Riders

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I know these threads get tiresome but here goes. Currently have two 14-15' 4 seat runabouts at the cottage, looking to get a bowrider with an outboard (for ease of maintenance). Found a couple that are reasonably priced but maybe I'm getting myself into headaches: one has damage from a tree branch to the windshield - unsure how easy it would be to replace? The other has a 175hp outboard which I'm assuming is a repower and likely over the rating of the boat? Feel free to flame me and tell me to save up etc. lol.

Seems hard to find any late model bow rider with an outboard vs. tons of 3.0 inboards around here.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...up/1079154466?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...er/1079146874?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Eeesh. I'm into projects and all but I would be worried about other structural damage to the glass around the consoles. If the metal frame took a sizeable hit so that it bent/broke, what did that do to the areas where the metal frame mounts to the fiberglass? The other thing that struck me about the narrative of the add is that the seller claimed it seats "8 or 9"...it might physically seat 8 or 9 but there is no way its rated for 8 or 9 people. Makes me wonder what else he's "claiming" - doesn't sound like an upfront seller to me.

Regarding the 2nd boat, he's asking too much IMO, but all areas have vastly different markets - that might be the going price up there. I'd ask why it was repowered if that was the case.

For both boats, if they are close I'd at least go look at them and give them a full walkthrough - inspect for rot, run compression on the engines, check the fluids for any obvious signs of issues. Check out the new boat buyers checklist sticky for specifics on what to look for.

I would think you are exposing yourself to more maintenance with these two boats just trying to find an outboard vs going with a clean inboard with no issues.

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I tend to agree Augoose, probably why I put these up in the first place - wanting to be talked out of it. My first boat purchase was my 1964 Starcraft Dart with '89 Johnson specifically to be as close to 0 maintenance as you can get (no wood other than transom/seat benches). Just missed an early 2000's Larson 19 footer with Johnson 130 and the only reasonable seller I've come across - was asking $10,900 though - my area is PRICEY.

Here are some others I've been considering, thanks for the help guys.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1074671151

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...er/1075629008?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...er/1074923077?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Gryph, The first photo looks like it could have a lot of problems. The second one looks much nicer, but it would be a little bit overpriced here. May be that it's not too bad for your area, I really don't know.

I'd be more inclined to take a look at the second one.

southkogs

Staff member
Boats all seem a little pricey for my area, but the two I like the most are the last two - Northstar and the Larson. Don't even go look at the one with the busted windshield.

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The Larson is tempting because it is all composite/no wood, but it is the smallest at 16'6" and 6 person capacity, the owner says it will do 48mph with two adults! The Northstar looks very promising but looks more like a ski boat hull to me as quite shallow, unknown brand that was only in production for 3 years which worries me.

Am I wrong to be so against Inboards? There's a relatively good deal on a 2005 Bayliner 195 with the 4.3 about 90 mins from me, someone is selling the same boat for 15,000 to give you an idea of our market here (hence the prices).

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1078113876

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
re: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1078113876

Yes. Boats are higher priced in Ontario Canada. Especially along the Brockville to Trenton waterway areas. I have a Bayliner 16.5 ft with Johnson 115 HP OB and its great on small / calm waters. I often call it "our little river boat". re: Easy to load / unload from its trailer, easy to drive in tight dock areas, easy with beach landings. Knowing what I know today, my next boat would be a 19+ feet 4.3L inboard. Why? Larger size boat means less see sickness motion on choppy waters. 4.3L can easily do water sports without stress. And, 4.3L is like car engine. Very little maintenance. Not too sure where you plan to boat. But, I know my next dream boat would be a 4.3L inboard.

For this specific 4.3L boat, I would recommend Trim Tabs (on its rear) since 4.3L in 19ft boat is rear end heavy, full electric brakes on its trailer (especially if towing in hilly regions) and a double cover (at Canadian tire ?). And, I'd recommend a Keel Guard (which is a plastic protective strip down its center) as well. Bayliner floors / stringers don't like water exposure. Thus, always double cover when parked. If it were me, I'd have a serious look at this Bayliner 4.3L boat. And, see if seller will accept less dollars for it.

Tip: Before buying, remember to get full inspection and "on water test" as well. My one buddy wanted to buy an inboard and his boat mechanic found a little water leak. Seller down played it. But boat mechanic said it would cost $700 (parts, labour and taxes) to fix it. Always get your own mechanic to review it. Especially when buying $8,000+ boats.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Thanks Batman,

I guess it's just a lack of knowledge/experience with inboards that scares me. Looks like I may go see the 2000 Larson Flyer, The Bayliner 4.3, and the 1998 Northstar on Sunday.

Boat will be almost exclusively used at my cottage on Ahmic Lake in northern Ontario. It's part of a 4 lake chain, with a single lock separating two of the lakes. There is 40 miles of navigable waterways (used to have steamships going from Burks Falls to Ahmic Harbour way back when). The lake does get somewhat choppy in open areas (I've had to bail on a boat rides in my little 14 because of the chop).

Found a few more that interest me, the Sylvan being the top with the 4.3 MPI.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1076979529

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...le/1079439961?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...ns/1079378786?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another tip.... If large open water / risk of choppy water is a concern, do a water test on a day that isn't calm. Nice to have some small wind to test sea motion sickness (due to hull design) or if hull slaps against the waves. My BIL (Brother in law) has V8 bow rider and goes great on flat water. But with minor waves, his boat "slaps" the water. My little 115 OB has a deeper V hull shape and does great on the little waves. But on the larger waves, my little boat gives me sea sickness. My one buddy bought a deep V hull boat with 4.3L engine but after getting it home, he noticed its V shape is too deep. He spent 2 days lowering his boat lift and creating new Bunk boards for it. If he bought a 4.3L with a shallower depth hull, he could have simply adjusted his existing bunk board supports.

Not too sure if Inboard engines have more or less maintenance - compared to OB motors. My previous vehicle V6 4.3L engines needed very little yearly upkeep. re: Typical filter, plugs, oil changes yearly maintenance. In my simple world, saved dollars from 4-stroke's better MPG easily reduces its yearly operating costs... And, 4-stroke has less smelly burnt fuel as well.

Lesson learned: My 16.5 ft "little river boat" had a Force 120 OB engine on it. After loading with people and doing some tubing a few times, it's head gasket would blow. After blowing head gasket 3 times, I realized the Force 120 engine (which is really a 90 hp at its prop) was too small - for my usage. If I would have saved up initial cost + multiple repair costs, I could have easily bought 4.3L inboard the first time. And with inboard 4.3L, I would have went with shallow V hull design.

Long mumblings short... Do a test drive on a few different 4.3L boats and see which hull design works best for your dock area and your open water. And if seller doesn't want to provide a water test, walk away (because they are hiding something). After all, would you buy a used vehicle if seller didn't allow you to drive it around the block a few times?

Hope this helps as well...

Last edited:

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i like the four winns alot - almost bought one of those but it was only 16' and seemed too small - i think 17.5-18 is the minimum boat size for a family.

oldjeep

Admiral
Not sure if you could find one in your price range but for a basic 18ft outboard I'd be looking at a Bayliner Element XL

oldjeep

Admiral
The Larson is tempting because it is all composite/no wood, but it is the smallest at 16'6" and 6 person capacity, the owner says it will do 48mph with two adults! The Northstar looks very promising but looks more like a ski boat hull to me as quite shallow, unknown brand that was only in production for 3 years which worries me.

Am I wrong to be so against Inboards? There's a relatively good deal on a 2005 Bayliner 195 with the 4.3 about 90 mins from me, someone is selling the same boat for 15,000 to give you an idea of our market here (hence the prices).

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1078113876

$10K is actually really cheap for that boat. I sold a 2005 195 Classic 3.0L (old body style) for around that price last year. I'd expect it to be more in the 13K range around here.

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for a the help guys. Yah my family is typically 8 adults at the cottage. So I'm thinking 18+ and 115hp if outboard or 4.3L inboard.

I agree that the Bayliner for $9300 is reasonable for my area, there's actually the same year/model for sale nearby for $15,000 to give an idea. I'm a bit scared of the bayliner name but if in good condition I guess it's worth it. Boat will be boathouse kept with us.

What looks like an immaculate condition 1998 Glastron with 115 johnson just went up as well.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...n-bowrider-115-hp-johnson-outboard/1079662204

Last edited:

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not many outboards in my part of Ontario and boats are pricey for us Canadians compared to the US. Even the beat up bad condition imported boats are over priced, but people seem to be snapping them up like they are the only boat available. The only outboards I have found around here are 16-17' and a lot of them seem to be underpowered as well.

Finally saw some good condition, reasonably priced boats on the weekend. But of course the admiral and I prefer different boats lol.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Did you check right here on IBOATS?????? Scroll to the top of this page and click the BOATS FOR SALE tab right next to the login box.

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not many outboards in my part of Ontario and boats are pricey for us Canadians compared to the US. Even the beat up bad condition imported boats are over priced, but people seem to be snapping them up like they are the only boat available. The only outboards I have found around here are 16-17' and a lot of them seem to be underpowered as well.

Finally saw some good condition, reasonably priced boats on the weekend. But of course the admiral and I prefer different boats lol.

It's actually crazy. I emailed about a 2003 19 foot Mariah SX9 with a 4.3 minutes after he posted and just said when can I come. Exchanged a couple emails and he said it was sold lol. The market here is so overpriced and anything decent sells before I can see it with my work schedule. Keep me in the loop on the "good ones" you saw this weekend if there are any you don't want that I may be interested in.

Thanks for the help guys. Search continues.