Looking for smoother throttle

sms986

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just finished up fixing up a year's worth of hard use on my fishing boat this month, including some nice upgrades. I have a little bit of available cash left over and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do for the super smooth throttle control. '99 Merc 90 HP with remote control side mount on the center console. I've been in several newer boats (mercs and Yamahas) and I love the absolute effortless throttle movement. You can move the throttle just by tapping with your fingers. Mine is not the case. It's not terrible at all, but it's stiff in comparison. Cables are new and I lubed them out of the package. Also lubed the throttle components, shift slider, and inside of the remote control box. I'm wondering if there's a way to get the really smooth control or if a stiffer control is just an inherent part of the shift/throttle leverage of these older motors. To clarify, mine is not "stiff stiff" but compared to the new boats it takes a bit more effort to control.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
*Some* Throttle controls have a tension adjustment. Have a few pics of your controls?

sms986

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is the kind of remote control I have. Don't have any pics on my phone of my boat. It has a tension adjustment but I have it all the way out.
Screenshot_20220514-195757.png

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Interesting. Are there any sharp bends in the cables? That would make it stiff. On my mercury outboard, it’s a bit stiffer than my I/O is.

sms986

Petty Officer 1st Class
No, I made sure everything was run pretty smooth and clean. I think the tightest bend I have is 5" radius where the cables drop down from the console then across the floor.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Also, with the new style cables, they don’t need lube. The sheathing on the inner cable is the lube. Grease or anything else just gunk’s up over time and makes them sticky.

sms986

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you think that 5" tight spot might be hanging it up a bit? I think it's still a pretty wide turn but I'm no expert I just play with boats. I got teleflex cables when I bought the boat, they've felt the same since I put them on last year. Next time I replace cables I'll make sure they don't need lubed though.. like I said they feel fine, just not as smooth as I would like. I just don't know if it's possible to make it any better with an older motor like this.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
And what motors, or how new were they, that were super smooth?

Were they DTS / drive by wire / cable less systems?

sms986

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't know the year of the Yamaha, but it was a 70 4 stroke. Wanna say 2015+.
Another Yamaha fl115 2019
And a mercury pro xs150 2021

Only one I looked at I'm depth was the Yamaha 70 and it has cables going to the motor for throttle and shift