Looking for small effective lighting

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am trying to find a shallow mount light that lights up the fishing area, console, and around my cuddy. I'm not looking for daylight but enough so I can see to walk and maybe bait a hook or 2. The majority of my fishing will be during the day but I get out before the sun and would like to see what I'm doing. I found these neat livewell lights: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boat-Lighting/Navigation-Cabin-Lights%7C/pc/104794380/c/104704380/sc/104462280/LED-Livewell-Light/738088.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-boat-lighting-navigation-cabin-lights%2F_%2FN-1100632%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104462280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104794380%253Bcat104704380%26pcrid%3D8921133618&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104794380%3Bcat104704380%3Bcat104462280#BVRRWidgetID"]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boat-Lighting/Navigation-Cabin-Lights%7C/pc/104794380/c/104704380/sc/104462280/LED-Livewell-Light/738088.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-boat-lighting-navigation-cabin-lights%2F_%2FN-1100632%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104462280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104794380%253Bcat104704380%26pcrid%3D8921133618&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104794380%3Bcat104704380%3Bcat104462280#BVRRWidgetID
and was thinking they might work for around the cuddy just to see for footing.

I was thinking adding 4 of these for the fishing area (area is 8'x10'): http://www.basspro.com/Hella?-Marine-LED-Step-Lamps/product/52444/103290
Anyone use either of these or think they might work? I would also consider any other products that might work.

Thanks,
Chas

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Looking for small effective lighting

Chas, I bought some led's a wally world... they were cheap and I have been VERY happy with them.... gobs of light and take almost no power... I think they are attwood brand.... they have both flush mount (my preference) and surface mount.

There are some nice puck lights that are 12V and many that run on battery. Just google puck light 12V and you will find a bunch. They are LED based so they are bright.

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice

Any automotive store has just about any type of LED lighting you could want. I used 2 strips in my cuddy cabin and LED pods for floor lighting in the rest off the boat. There are several colors to choose from and all of the LED lights use very little battery juice.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You have to either buy marine grade, and then be sure to seal all connections, or plan to replace them after a couple of years. If they are cheap enough, no biggie to replace, since they are not essential equipment, but if you are cutting holes, you might not be able to match them next time. So think twice about walmart or other non-marine sources--even bass pro sells a lot of boat stuff that doesn't last in salt water.
Coat the connections with liquid electrical tape, and seal them against the bulkhead (wall).

I like the way my "cabin" lights are on my center console: they are about knee high, and are on the sides of the console, not the boat. They don't interfere as much with night vision, being low, but reflect enough off the white interior to see everything afoot. They also provide light in the console and through the plastic glove box, since they are not backed.
For working on hooks and lures, I have a couple of cheapo led battery clamp lights, like the ones you might clip on a car's visor. They survive salt water use for a couple of years; no biggie to replace. I'd rather not have more wiring in the salt environment, and I can move them around.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

I got some LED strips. They are available in weather resistant and waterproof varieties and come in several colors. The strips can be cut to various lengths (every 3 LEDs, about 2"). For small lights (e.g. under the console) I cut the shortest length (3 LEDs). For the engine area I used a longer length (more LEDs, more light). I have placed strips around the boat for courtesy lights and inside compartments for use at night.

The strips are 5/16" wide and flexible. The strips are self adhesive, but for security I also use a couple of dabs of 3M 4000 to hold the lights in place.

The strips work directly on 12vDC. Since the current is very low, fairly thin wire can be used for power leads.

On line the LED strips can be found starting about US$6/foot.

I use these: http://www.ledlightsworld.com/led-st...7r2aip3jmua445

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

iboats has some great livewell lights for 5 bucks each... and waterproof!

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have many feet of the led strip lights in my truck and could not be happier with them. If you would like some info, let me know.

2011-08-13141411.jpg

DSC01388.jpg

DSC01387.jpg

DSC01383.jpg

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found these LED deck/step lights for pretty cheap and I think I am going to go with a small strip light up by the console on both sides so I can see a little better down by my feet. I wanted to be able to "project" the lights down onto the deck so I don't have issues with the lights effecting my eye sight when running back to camp in the dark. Its kind of creepy running at night without any forward facing lights other than my bow light and at 35 mph a lot could go wrong. Before any of you jump at me I do know the water very well (fished it for 15 years.)

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ion=DispPage&Page2Disp=/mini_tubes.htm#luxart

These guys have good prices too.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found these LED deck/step lights for pretty cheap and I think I am going to go with a small strip light up by the console on both sides so I can see a little better down by my feet. I wanted to be able to "project" the lights down onto the deck so I don't have issues with the lights effecting my eye sight when running back to camp in the dark. Its kind of creepy running at night without any forward facing lights other than my bow light and at 35 mph a lot could go wrong. Before any of you jump at me I do know the water very well (fished it for 15 years.)

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ion=DispPage&Page2Disp=/mini_tubes.htm#luxart

These guys have good prices too.

the flexible light strips you linked to at the top of that page, is exactly what i have in the pics i linked.

if you want to try them, i can source them cheaper then that site does.

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have many feet of the led strip lights in my truck and could not be happier with them. If you would like some info, let me know.
LED Overload! You dont run them down the sill panels of your truck aswell do you? :p

They're extremly handy, the LED strips. They take up practically no room, and give out a good light output for power consumption. I run them down the length of my boat:

IMGP7402.jpg

baylake

Seaman

the flexible light strips you linked to at the top of that page, is exactly what i have in the pics i linked.

if you want to try them, i can source them cheaper then that site does.
beason - please share. Thks

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LED Overload! You dont run them down the sill panels of your truck aswell do you? :p

They're extremly handy, the LED strips. They take up practically no room, and give out a good light output for power consumption. I run them down the length of my boat:

I like what you did but on my boat I don't have the storage in the gunwales like that. I have smooth sides (Pro-line Ocean boat) so I wouldn't be able to mount lights in there. That was my reasoning for the small pedestal style base.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class

the lights i use are not plug and play like the link above. You cut to length and solder on the leads.

Although "marine" grade is available, the ones i used are not, but are still sealed and splash proof.

I just did the bed of my friends silverado with 6ft of light strips.

This is the bed of a truck, but could be the gunwall pockets, or under dash, or engine compartment. really anywhere with a smooth location to stick the strips to.

2011-11-06132038.jpg

2011-11-06144026.jpg

2011-11-06144043.jpg

2011-11-06144058.jpg

imagejpeg_2_4.jpg

I got the LEDs from a guy that sells pre assembled kits for trucks on another forum. I think i payed $2 or $3 a foot and bought the misc wire and stuff myself. I can PM his contact info to anyone who is interested, but just be forewarned he is a one man LED making machine, and you may be waiting a week or more for shipment. He makes the kits for Titan trucks in his garage for little more then what he has in materials.

I plan on doing my boats storage pockets over the winter.