Looking for plastic for dash

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am rebulding my dash on my Bayliner and I need a piece of black plastic 2'x 1' by a min of 1/4" thick. I am not having any luck finding something around here to work and wonder if anyone might have some suggestions.

I want the black plastic so I don't have to keep on repainting and it hides the dirt.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for plastic for dash

plexi glass or lexan......any color you want, any thickness you want

i dont know if you guys got industrial plastics and paint back east. but in small amounts like that it will de cheap

RobG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have you thought about using the marine grade poly lumber. I have used this for several dashes and custom applications. you can purchase this online at boaters world, west marine, and basspro. looks like a 27 x 12 x 1/4 would be around 25 bucks. Here is the link:

http://www.tacomarine.com/cat--Marine-Lumber--marinelumber.html

Rob

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right on Rob! This looks like what I am looking for and there is a boater's world just over the bridge from me. I will check them out.

Oops, I tried the lexan/plexiglas but no one around here stocks it and said I would have to buy a full sheet at $500.00.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been very happy with the good folks at Interstate Plastics, found them on line, Arkansas. Reworking a small center console, new dash, cover over console and cosmetic work of mounting radios over chopped wood.

Very Reasonally priced.

Hope it helps you find what you need.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I am rebulding my dash on my Bayliner and I need a piece of black plastic 2'x 1' by a min of 1/4" thick. I am not having any luck finding something around here to work and wonder if anyone might have some suggestions.

I want the black plastic so I don't have to keep on repainting and it hides the dirt.

Picture109-1.jpg

Tap Plastics

Mike1187

Cadet

did you try www.mcmaster.com? they usually carry farious small sizes of nearly every type of material imaginable, all the way up to full sheets if you want them. I've ordered many things for personal use, and its almost a daily order at work for various supplies we need. you can have it at your doorstep in less than 24 hours as long as you order before 3 PM.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

ABS plastic sheet is the pebbely-mat type surface commonly used for dash panels.
Do a seach on ebay "abs plastic sheet". Many of the vendors will cut to overall size.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I used abs

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ABS is tough easily sands but not chemically resistant. Polyethylene, polypropylene or nylon is chemically resistant but does not sand very well. It will leave fuzzy edges. They all cut good.

All can be bought with a hair-cell (term used in the industry) texture except the nylon.