Looking for other Glassmaster boat owners..

JohnR.

Cadet
Re: Looking for other Glassmaster boat owners..

I haven't really heard that. The outdrive is just an Alpha One type so they're pretty reliable. I would just use the boat for what its worth and if it starts to give you problems then think about unloading it.

John

you are right there, the outdrives are great and compatible to lots of other motors. it is the motor that apparently is plagued with problems, like the charging system and cooling leaks. when i get the starter rebuilt and reinstalled in the spring, i'll make a few runs with it and decide if i like it or not. mike

gmaster

Cadet

I am restoring a 66 glassmaster I/O. I also have a 68 glassmaster trihull that my father restored. I am going to need a wind shield on the 66. It was damaged by the sun over the years. Also the 66 had gas tanks under the seats. The seats rotted and the tanks finally rusted out. I will be replacing the seats but I cant find a tank that will fit under the seat. any ideas ?

JohnR.

Cadet

My 1980 also has tanks under the seats. They are just rectangular aluminum boxes. Maybe the tanks out of a newer one will fit under yours? I'm taking mine out of the water this weekend, let me know if you want me two measure my tanks before the boat gets all wrapped up for the winter.

John

gmaster

Cadet

John, thanks for the info. The new seats I will be getting have smaller bases than the old ones. They are 13 1/2 in wide , 36 long and 10 deep. Pretty much all of the new ones have the same measurments on the bases and the boat is not really big enough for side tanks. Thanks for the reply Greg

JohnR.

Cadet

That's too bad. Since the vinyl on mine was still good I ended up rebuilding all the framework of my seats and putting the original upholstery back over it. Good luck with your search. Worst case scenario you could have a competent welder TIG together a new set of tanks. If you were near me I'd have an excellent recommendation as to who could weld it up for you.

John

gmaster

Cadet

John, thanks for the reply. I had'nt thouught of that. This is really well built boat and it would be worth it. I grew up skiing behind this boat and am looking forward to getting it back on the water. Thanks again Greg

just a thought but my friend had a 18' i/o a couple years ago and his fuel tank was in the floor where there is usually storage compartments. if you are only going to put 1 fuel tank back in it this might be a more ballanced approach, although you do lose your storage bay. depanding on your seats they might have storage under them. hope you have fun.
mike

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

69 glassmaster,14ft,1966 40hp evinrude lark8,olive green,,really good cond,original seats/upholstery,still soft ,no cracks or tears,must have been in a barn or garage for a few,,gotta put the new firing squad kit/coils in,,hoping for the best,,,old motor looks pretty good,,saw and heard it running when i first bought it but after sitting a couple of weeks,the top cyl wont fire,,so gonna try new points cond and coil ,plug/wires,,,,got the fingers crossed,i did have to patch a soft spot in the floor between motor and seats,this is about the only place to stand up or put a cooler so no wonder it was a lil worn there,,a 20 in x 30 in rect,glassed it in,,,,rest of the floor really solid,,,the guy i got it from said when he bought it,,the people had it outside uncovered with the bottom plug in,,,prob what greatly contr to the soft spot ,,she looks like she has a lot of life left in her,,i will try to get some pics on soon,,,,,'''update''something pretty cool was as i was looking thru these forums[page 3 of this thread half way down],i found my exact boat with a cool story behind it,,it was the exact same boat,,even with the visable same lic number on the side,,,it looks sooo much different now,,,but i was right,,it has been used more for storage and a workbench than a boat,,,cant wait to get her on the water with the new tune up

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

vrmgrrl,,,if your still around anywhere,,i have your old boat,,its looking good,,i posted above,,will try to get some pics up soon

norrisgraham

Recruit
Glassmaster Owner

Glassmaster Owner

1975 Glassmaster 14' Trihull. 1970 Evinrude Triumph 60 motor. just bought boat yesterda. more to follow.
SDC11926.jpg
SDC11927.jpg
SDC11928.jpg
SDC11933.jpg

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

69 glassmaster,14ft,66 lark 8 40 hp,selectric shift,totally original,except for tune ups,patched 2x2 ft in rear area,rest of floor was solid,,kill switch/lanyard,radio,updated gas tank,,this boat is in someones garage on this thread,by vrmmgirl,,about page three,with the story behind it,this boat had been sitting for forty years,,runs great now,600 dollars later,after the initial 600,,,so 1200 so far,,not bad i guess to be on the water in retro style,,,,,,michael

hodgdon

Recruit

glassmaster68, I bought a nearly identical boat this past fall, though no where near in as good condition as yours. The guy I bought if from says it's a '67.

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey hod,,,yeah,,ive been doing alot to it the past 3 months,took it out a bout 4 times this year so far,,,2 ,2 hour tours,,,,couldnt do the 3 hr tour,,got to get another gas tank,,,uses almost 6 gal in 2 hrs,,ive been told thats about par for the course

jcompton32

Recruit

According to your pictures I believe we own the exact type of boat (which we have been researching.) Do you know where we could find an owners manual etc etc etc on this type of boat? Thanks!!

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

mine didnt come with an owners manual either

ninja_01

Recruit

I just picked up this 1960 Glassmaster today. Can't wait to get it on the water.
2010-05-22183649.jpg

glassmaster68

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey ninja,,love your boat,,,,what part of fl?we go to bay county a coupla times a year

ur_averagejoe4

Recruit

Here's my first post on this website. I found it by searching for information on my first boat. I just bought it yesterday and it is a 1964 Glassmaster 645V, says on the title. Has a 40 HP Johnson motor with it. Paid $400 for it. Hopefully nothing is wrong with it and It'll be on the water this weekend. I go get the titles in my name today and go pick it up tomorrow. Will post pics tomorrow when it gets back to my house for a much needed wash, it's been sitting under a tarp for a year. Well, hope to gain much needed knowledge here.

ur_averagejoe4

Recruit

So here are a couple pictures of it after I got it home. What a struggle that was. Had some trouble hooking it up, getting it on the ball and tightening it down and connecting the harness, changing the plates with the rusted bolts and all I had was a power drill with both standard and phillips. So i finally get it tight, I think I need to work on it a little more, don't know what size or how to figure out what size ball I need. On the way home, my front center cap of the truck falls off. I get it in the driveway, backing it in, I see smoke and antifreeze on the driveway, hopefully the radiator hose and not the radiator. It needs a new battery and a new tail light since the old one is broken and bent. But i got it home. Now to work out what I need to get it on the water. I'm taking out the bench seat that is in the back, I'm guessing it's a van bench seat and I'm thinking about getting new front seats for it. I know I need to drill the throttle to the wood plate since it's just hanging there. I know I want to get new life vests for the kids.

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat side.jpg
    Boat side.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0