Looking for opinion on Merc 302 188

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys
I am looking at a 1988? Grew 245 Hardtop
It has a Merc 188 in it does that mean it is a 302 ? ( were these not stopped in 1977 )
were they good engines ?
overall opinion on it ?
are parts readily available ?

Thank you

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Looking for opinion on Merc 302 188

Yes, the 888 was a Ford, and Yes Merc stopped using Fords altogether in 77.

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply Don S
were they ok engines overall
this one has been meticulously maintained

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have one in a 1972 Cruisers Inc. Never been touched except for routine maintenance. Has over 1300 hrs and runs like the day it came out of factory! Not too bad for a 39 yr old motor!

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the reply Don S
were they ok engines overall
this one has been meticulously maintained

Ayuh,... Their an OK motor,...
I'd be more concerned as to Why, 'n How the PO's married the Ford, to an 11 year Newer drive/ transom assembly...
There were Major changes in those 11 years...

It could be a real Cobb Job that'll haunt yer ownership....

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

the 302 is a great automotive engine. as a marine engine feels alittle sluggish and needs more torque

my grandfather had a 75 rinell with the 302 in it (when he bought it was either a 302 and mercruiser or chrysler with cobra option). he spent the next 5 years trying to get more power out of it (waaaay to small for a 24 footer)

he ending up putting twin turbo's on it which helped a ton on the top end but still soft on the whole shot

the boat is still in the family (gave it to my sister 2 years ago as he was trying to eliminate some of his boats - 7 at the time) i still get a kick everytime i see the engine! looks like 2 mickey mouse ears sticking out of the sides!

haulnazz15

Captain

I would be concerned about the drive/power swap as well just because of the year difference. The 302 was an outstanding engine though, which is why Ford used it all the way up to 1996 or so.

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went and had a look at the boat and it seems to be a 1978 not 88 owner had made a typo
Its really clean with all receipts to show for annual maintenance and(professional) stringer, transom replacement last year
I spoke with the glass guy that did the work he has 40 years exp and seems to know his stuff !
all I have left now is to contact the Mechanic that does the maintenance on it and talk to him

The price is really good for the setup of boat and trailer

I did take it for a spin and it is a little sluggish but I can live with that as the motor outdrive seems to run like a champ !
what would the options be if a repower is needed down the road ?
Can I put in a newer merc with outdrive combo without transom mod ??
here are a few pic's

grew2.jpg
grew1.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

what would the options be if a repower is needed down the road ?
Can I put in a newer merc with outdrive combo without transom mod ??

Ayuh,.... The Newest of the newer drives, both Volvo, or Mercruiser can be swapped in with a minimal amount of work,...
Basically, drillin' 2 more holes in the transom will allow Any of the newer drives to be mounted...
I don't see any red flags in what you've said, other than I don't do Ford power...
All the Ford units I've run across, were bought on the assumption it was gettin' Refited with Chevy power...

The odds seem to be in yer favor, that you could get many years outa that boat, Without doin' a thing to it....;)

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Huge thank you Bond-O for taking the time to look and comment !

Always appreciated
I am going to have a look at it out of water on friday !! wohoo

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think alot of people shy away from ford's because they were only available for a short amount of years. With the vast majority of Mercruisers powered by chevy parts are a dime a dozen. Like any motor that has not been abused and has been properly maintained it should last for years ( like mine, nearly 40). If you have the opportunity, scan over any maintenance records, do a compression check, test drive. Tune up parts are readily available for the merc 888 as well as other parts. I would check to see when the last time exhaust manifold were changed as they were most likely the older log style. They are still available from different manufacturers but they tend to be more expensive than the newer style. If everything checks out to your liking then I wouldn't hesitate having a ford in your boat. My opinion may be a little biased because I have a merc 888 but it has never let me down, always has started right away, and has consumed less than 1 qt of oil in over 80 hrs of use this summer. Not too bad for a 39 yr old motor with no rebuild.

Tim

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the great advice guys !!
It's really appreciated