Looking for objective opinion on boat I want to buy - 1997 Glastron

mickms

Cadet
I have my eye on a 1997 Glastron 20 ft., with 4.3 volvo penta, 190 hp and a cobra outdrive. This boat is located in Ohio, and has sat in storage for 2 years. I did a sea test and it was solid, but there were a few things I had in back of my mind, plus the owner did told me about a hydrolics issue with the outdrive gradually dropping when stored up - owner said he thought it was a seal on the trim ram.

The boat is nearly immaculate visibly aside from a few nicks and some small cracks on the vinly, but I wanted to get it looked over by a mechanic. The mechanic looked it over, said the compression checked out on the engine, the moisture reading was 2% on the transom and 5% on the stringers, hammer test sounded good, and that he checked the trim hydrolics for leaks and as there was none, the problem was not the ram seal, but inside the pump itself where the "check valve" either has debris or is damaged.

Another thing that is the trailer is a probably in need of a lot of work. I've towed it twice with my truck, and for a smallish boat it did not trailer well. Basically I think the brakes are frozen, but the seals are bad so the pads are covered with grease and so it goes down the road without locking up, but there is lots of shuttering. There is non-structural rust and plywood issues. The cost of parts basically make it a total loss, so if I want to do any inland towing, I'm looking at buying a new trailer.

This boat was listed for $7000. We agreed in principal at $6500. The owner will split the cost to repair the pump with me basically 70-30 with me being on the hook for around $500. He also points out that the boat runs fine with the slow pump run down that it's doing now (my concern is what will it do next spring when I go to put it back in the water??) I have not ideal what my cost is going to be to get the trailer in decent towing condition, or else to get a new one.

Does this sound like a good deal, or given the glut of boats out there am I getting taken? I basically "fell in love" on the sea test, so I need some objective opinions.

Thanks!

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Looking for objective opinion on boat I want to buy - 1997 Glastron

OMC has been out of business for about ten years now, so parts, and finding good service tects for them are becoming harder to find. The stern drive should NOT be stored in the up position also, it should be down when stored, to keep the belows in better shape. You could do the brakes, and seals for under $400 if you do the work yourself, most likely lower.

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hell-o i have read your tread and my gut feeling is ----stay away from this deal --it seems like it's too much, plus the trailer keep shopping . Remember a fool and his money will soon part

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First of all Welcome to iboats.... Now, as for the boat.. As I'm sure you know that boats are just holes in the water ya throw money into and the older they get usually the more ya have to throw. With that said, it sounds like you have made all the right moves, Sea trial and a mechanic looked it over it sounds like it is a pretty good boat. I think you are lucky that the PO will even help with the repairs. As for the price of the boat it is so hard to say, it could give you many years of good service or could break down the first time you put her in the water. That is a chance we take buying used. But could happen with new just not as often..LOL I really think if you like it and have the $$$$ go for it. Seems you crossed the "Ts" and dotted the i's. Hope you get it and have many hours of fun with it. That's my $.02...

boat1010

The boat I have now is a 89 and I didn't do half as much looking as you did. I never even put it in the water. Yes I had a few problems and threw some money at it, BUT I love my boat and am glad I got it...

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a pretty fair deal to me...I'd go for it.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Check the NADA on the boat and see if it's in line with the pricing. You can put your own trim pump on for a lot less so that's not an issue. If the sea trial went fine and the boat runs good, that's as good as you'll get. It in no way means that you may not have to dump money into it. I know my boat inside and out, but yet any part can crap out at the drop of a dime. That's what boat ownership is all about. The trade off is all the fun you will have using it. See if he will drop another 500.00 so you can buy another trailer. If you have cash in hand he will probably bite. Tell him you are confident in the boat but don't wan't to lose it on the highway.

Philster

Captain

There is no such thing as an objective opinion.

Buy OMC when you can wrench on it yourself, find parts efficiently and if you can consult or surrender to an OMC expert when need ...and the deal is so good you can't walk away. If your purchase and situation meets these criteria, then go for it. In all others cases, buying OMC doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint or a pleasure standpoint.

etracer68

Ensign

In my opinon, a Cobra stern drive upper is alot stronger then the Alpha one's. The input shaft is supported on both ends, with good size bearings. The Alpha is only supported on one end, with two bearings, if memory servers me right. If it has the upgrade negitive 5 degree gears in the lower, its a very good stern drive, and will handle 300+HP all day long, and last a long time too. Most people shy away from them because there out of business, and I most likely would too. But again, these are opinons.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have my eye on a 1997 Glastron 20 ft., with 4.3 volvo penta, 190 hp and a cobra outdrive.

If it's a Volvo engine (and it sounds like it is), it's an SX drive. Volvo engines do not have OMC drives attached to them.
Being a 97 or possibly a 96 engine and drive, the drive may say Cobra on it, but it's the SX Cobra, not OMC Cobra.
The Cobra name on the drive kind of stuck during the joint venture between OMC and Volvo, which ended when Volvo bought out OMC in 98 and OMC sterndrive division closed it's doors.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

etracer68

Ensign

Don would know, so I reckon, go for it. The Cobra I had was a 1987.

Last edited:

FichtFan

Seaman Apprentice

You're looking at a boat that is almost 15 years old and needs a good trailer overhaul and hydraulic work. I could be wrong, but I also think that's the smaller engine option as well, thus reducing it's value even more. I think the seller could do better.

FichtFan

Seaman Apprentice

So what was the verdict?

gtochris

I believe I recall hearing about the Volvo drive loosing trim pressure and falling, dont recall which one exactly, but that might be a common problem and not specific to this boat.

Granted this boat is a foot longer and V6.
I bought my boat 2 years ago under a similare circumstance, it sat for 2 years, needed some TLC, no trailer involved. I didnt do any sea trial but knew who parked it and how it ran before. Price was $4500 + $1900 for the trailer I bought.

Prices vary across the country, I've seen some raging deals in FL... but probably considered average by FL standards where boats are plenty. In this NE Area, anything I see available now appears to be junk because the nice boats are winterized already.

Good luck, you are on the right path regardless and seem to be objective enough that if this isnt the right one, you'll find what you want soon.