Looking for manual 96 bayliner Jazz

96 jazz

Recruit
I'm looking for some advice and a manual for a 96 bayliner Jazz. I just got it this weekend and was talking with a friend that in the process of showing me some things caused issues.

The boat is a 120hp. Test drive went great and was quick minus having a hard time to plane. Thats where the fun comes in..

On the trailer at WOT the gate was covering the jet more than I thought it should have. We checked neutral and reverse as well, but my friend went to show me where reverse should be at the gate when it was in neutral. My guess is it pulled the cable loose as now I have very minimal control of the gate (like none). Thinking adjustments were at the control, I pulled that box out.. well tried. The controls appear to not have enough room to get them out of the whole cut in the body. I'm planning on opening up the whole tomorrow and hopeing that fixes that issue. After hours of aggravation I just zip tied the gate open so I could use it but no reverse or neutral.

Now the fun part.. I don't know if somehow trying to mess with the cable tension I screwed up the throttle cable tension, but now the boat only goes for a while then the RPMs drop and eventually just shuts off. I can start it right back up no problem. At WOT it feels lagging in power. Compression test on its way. Any advice would be great as I am a complete newbie.

Thanks

96 jazz

Recruit
Re: Looking for manual 96 bayliner Jazz

Update: Turns out through my fun I exposed a root issue that I couldn't see when buying the boat. The shift cable had actually rubbed by the gate (in the sealing section) and caused the coating and wires to split. This left the internal cable free to open more there as the rest of the cable was stiffer from the additional rusting. Just got a new cable on order, but looking for any advice on the running issue still. I also was able to get my hands on a manual (pdf version) and owners manual (pdf as well) if anyone is interested.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Replace the cable , do not patch it , you do not want one of these to break and have the gate come down when you do not expect it , As far as the cutting off post some more info and do standard OHM tests that are in the first post on this forum .

armand36

Recruit

Hi, I realize this thread is kind of old and a warning i am no mechanic just a weekend warrior, but I had a similar issue of the shift cable coming of, after that was fixed it ran fine for a while. Now the issue is that starting of and going at low speeds its fine but when i push the throttle for higher speeds it keeps bogging out and sputtering like its skipping gears or something. any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Also could you please pm me the repair manual please.