Looking for info on a Galaxy boat

stelzetw

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1983 Galaxy 221 Sport Express, ID GALDC145m831. I am trying to find out any information I can about this boat model, but so fat have had little luck. It has a Mercruiser 260 motor and runs and handle very well, although I have only had it out once.

Any info or links appreciated.

Thanks, Terry

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for info on a Galaxy boat

Welcome aboard stelzetw!!

I always ask the same thing in regards to these threads. What would you do with this information if you had it? Boats are all basically made up of the same components. The manufacturer really doesn't matter as far as operation or maintenance. We can help you here as much as any info that you might find.

The engine and drive info is all available in the I/O section below. And as I mentioned operation and instrument info we can help you with here.

stelzetw

Recruit

Thanks for the quick responce. In the past I have only owned boats that had sails, I have recently retiured and this is my first every boat with a motor of any kind. I do understand the the manufacturer sourced parts from the same suplly chain as other boat makers, just looking for any tweaks thay may have put in the boat, or common practices for them.

Basically what I am looking for is maintenance and operational information. I have not been able to ID the motor other than the air cleaner says Merc 260. Think it may be a GM 350, but no way to tell that I know, think it needs a new impeller, will go to local boat shop to see if they can ID what to order, did find some info on changing that out. Likewise not sue if it has an open or closed cooling system, think open, but not sure how to tell. Many of the switches have a function unkowen to me. Like the BLOWER, not sure what that does, found an on-line reference that it should stay on to start boat.

Probebly basic stuff to many, but new to me, thanks again.

Terry

QC

Supreme Mariner

All good, but also basic stuff for us here. We'll get you going.

See if you can get the drive and engine S/Ns and post them in the Mercruiser I/O section. Yes, the 260 is a GM 350. That vintage I/O was rated at the flywheel then and today they are rated at the propshaft. Equal to about 235 bhp today (propshaft). Closed or open would've been optional. A quick look will tell. If there is a radiator type cap it is closed. Again, boat manufacturer would probably not know. Very poor documentation is very typical . . . BTW, that impeller is inside the drive unit, so read up on that over in the I/O section I mention.

Blower is to be run for 4-5 mins before starting to insure no gasoline vapors present in the bilge. Lots of threads and info here on that. Keep the questions coming :)

stelzetw

Recruit

OK, thanks! already learned something. I have also bought a Clymer book on the engine-drive unit. Reading up has already convinced me that for this year at least I will take boat to a shop to winterise I have "twisted wrenches" back when I raced mortocycles when I lived in SoCal, Costa Mesa area but not up to speed on this amount of detail. Did find a posting on the impeller removeal, will be very heplfull.

Thanks again, will do a deep dive into the info on this site.