Looking for guidance on a 1970 16' MFG Westfield transom repair

kozman03

Cadet
Hello everyone. Just stopping by to get some opinions form the people who know what they are doing:) I have a 16 foot 1970 MFG Westfield. The boat is actually in fantastic shape. I love the old school closed bow boats. I get comments on it all the time. It's got a 2007 Merc 50 2 stroke on it that runs and looks like it is off the showroom floor. This boat is perfect for what my wife and I want. Getting lunch out on our central Florida (Big Lake Harris) and just tooling around looking for gators.

Anyways, a few month ago, I took off the speed tube and depth finder sounder. I had about 1/2 cup or so of brown water come out of each hole, right and left. I left the transom to dry in the hot Florida sun for about 2 weeks. sealed up the holes and attached the speed tube and depth sounder on starboard and epoxied to transom. I can stand on them and those star board pieces aren't coming off.

I know how the water got it. The aluminum strip that covers half the top of the transom is screwed in and when I pulled it back, the transom fiberglass doesn't meet up so there is a 1/4 to 1/2 seam that and water that gets past that aluminum strip goes right into the transom.

I like the boat, but I didn't pay much for it. What are my options that are affordable and can be done by someone who is somewhat handy with tools. Everything from leaving it alone, digging out all the bad and replacing with some marine plywood, seacast??? I'm open to anything. By the way, I put my big 225 pound rear end hanging off the motor and I notice no flexing, but when I put my finger in a hole that one of the cables go through, I can push my finger through the wet wood.

Thank you everyone for any help/information you can send my way!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
First, start reading the hundreds of threads here on the subject, this will give you a very good idea of what you're up against.

​The wood in the transom will not dry out in 2 weeks, might be a little dryer in 2 years, but will still be rotten, and chances are the stringers are rotten too, that is unless you're one of the lucky MFG owners that has a boat with all F/G stringers. You'll probably be in for a for a complete gut and rebuild.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard !!!
As ondarvr stated some models had a fiberglass stringer system but at some point they started using plywood .. How does the floor feel ? Any soft spots ? It will take a little work but if you stick with the basic type material you could keep the cost down .. How about some pics ! We love pics !
Mfgb70011.jpg

kozman03

Cadet
That's what I was thinking, but there has been some substantial work already done.The keel was redone and the floor. The floor has access covers that were installed when it was redone and when I take a look in each of them, it looks like work was done to the stringers as well. I knew it wouldn't dry out in 2 weeks, I was just trying to burn off what I could. I'm just looking to make sure my motor doesn't fall off the back end:)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep, if it's just the transom you have basically 2 options . It looks like the he splashwell is moulded together with the cap so to access the transom you wil have to take the whole cap off or cut just the splashwell out along the gunnels just in front of the s/w . It would be glassed back together when transom is complete. Painted or regellcoated .
Seacast is an option but a bit pricey ..

kozman03

Cadet
Sphelps. Hello. Had the transom redone. All appears well. Had one more question. In the bilge area there are two hoes about half way up from the bottom of the bilge. There are rubber stoppers that go in these holes. I know these holes will drain into the hull. The transom has two drains, hull an bilge. Question is, do those rubber stoppers need to be put into those holes in the bilge box? Thanks for any help!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If I understand correctly , The 2 holes you are talking about are in the bilge pocket going into or out of the under deck or hull area ... If thats the case I would leave those plugged while using in the water .. Then take them out while stored on the trailer .. That is if the boat is kept inside out of the rain .. If stored outside I would leave the plugs in ... You don't want water running into those holes ... In fact I would glass those in if you have a under deck drain hole going out of the transom ...
Picks would help ...

kozman03

Cadet
Hello sphelps. I got back on here because I had another question and noticed two things. First, I didn't say thank you for your response. Thank you!! Yes, you are talking about the correct holes in the bilge area and the boat is kept in the garage. And secondly, I noticed in my question to you that I wrote I had two hoes in my bilge area. Haha. My wife wouldn't be too pleased with that:) Anyways, thanks for your help and the MFG will be making her maiden voyage with the new transom this weekend!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Congrats on the splash !
Pics and or vids are a requirement you know .. :pop2: