Looking for first (only?) boat...need help/suggestions...?

sdgmcdon

Recruit
I am frankly tired of bank fishing...From shore I do catch em' from time to time, but every time I'm out "on a friends boat" I just reel em' in like crazy.

...Time for a boat

I know however I can only afford ONE boat and as a fishing boat, the significant other is not interested ... one we can ski with however, well now, she's right there with me ready to write a check (and I must admit, I'd like to do some skiiing too).

So, things to know about my level of expertise in boating...I have none. I've driven boats many times from outboard (I barely know what that means) to "built-in" motor (see, don't even know what to call that). Other than that, I'm clueless about boats (though I am fond of stingray's as that's what we were always on when I went to the river as a kid 25 years ago...probably moot at this point).

I just know I want to be able to take this out on any river in the area (Portland Oregon) for fishing and skiing without having to worry much about where people are standing/sitting (balance) in the boat - ability to have a rain cover/sheild on it would be good too as again, I'm in Portland.

Because I would mostly be fishing from it and because it's my first boat, I'm thinking I should stick to a used boat (something about fish blood all over a new boat, just seems...well; wrong + spending "new" money on a "new" boat seems stupid for a first timer?). However if there's a new boat that suits the needs/price etc; just like everyone else "new is better" - price has to be REALLY right though.

As for storing it, unless the boat/trailer would be less than 23 feet long (and that's really maxing it, my garage is just about 25 feet from edge of big door to back wall) I would be storing it offisite at a marina or just a regular storage unit I can keep it in (latter preferred so I can just go down the street and get it, then go anywhere).

I honestly don't care much about looks/high performance etc...I just want something good for fishing, stable on choppy big rivers, that we can easily ski from and seat, 4-5+ people in and QUALITY/RELIABLE.

Suggestions of what I should look at? And if anyone reading this is in the area, know of dealers/places I should look?

Thanks!