Looking for Cobalt 293 service manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

rskeeters

Cadet
I recently purchased a Cobalt 293, is there a service manual for this specific boat? There are systems I am not familiar with on the boat, and the owners manual is of little help.
Thanks in advance

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Looking for Cobalt 293 service manual

Congrats! What year? I got mine in May. I'm still learning my way around her. I am not aware of a specific service manual - I just annoy the crap out of the local Cobalt dealer. And yes, the owner's manual is useless. Any specific questions?

rskeeters

Cadet

I purchased a 1998, the more time i spend looking around it the more I love it. I have 2 questions to start with.
1 Where is the horn located? it is not working
2 If yours has the windshield wiper, can you tell me if there is a manufacturer & part number on it? I know a lot of this stuff is available from sources other than Cobalt at a substantial savings

dsiekman

Ah...I hope you're not a real big guy. You're about to discover, if you haven't already, a great deal of new storage space. Flip up the cabin steps and remove the carpet snapped over the opening. Now crawl in. Don't worry, it opens up a little once you are inside. For reference, I'm 5'9 and about a buck 90 and can squeeze through.

Once inside, heat to stbd. You can actually sort of sit on what I think is one of the stringers and poke your head up in the gunnel. You will see the horn tucked up between the helm and the gunnel. First I would test the button to be sure it works. You may be able to reach it by removing the access panel in the head as well, or from the outside - there is a small grill/vent.

As for the wiper, I will have to get back to you. She's currently wrapped up for the winter.

One other tip, if you have the keikhaeffer shifter/throttle (look like something off a go fast), do yourself a favor and clean and grease them. If you search the main repair forum you should find a post I put up this summer about the topic. I also replaced the cables which helped smooth things out as well.

rskeeters

Cadet

Thank you for the insight, I sincerely appreciate it.

dsiekman

Glad to help! I am still getting to know mine as well. I am planning to do a new helm/dash this winter (if I get around to it) as I think the original setup is a little confusing. I would like to line up the gauges side by side so I can very quickly determine that everything is okay. I also want to flush mount the gps because it currently blocks the stbd engine temp and oil pressure gauges.

I don't check the Cobalt section frequently, but I am on the other forums nearly every day at lunch and/or in the evening. If you have any questions feel free to PM me if I don't respond to something you post here.

Dubsee

Recruit

Ah...I hope you're not a real big guy. You're about to discover, if you haven't already, a great deal of new storage space. Flip up the cabin steps and remove the carpet snapped over the opening. Now crawl in. Don't worry, it opens up a little once you are inside. For reference, I'm 5'9 and about a buck 90 and can squeeze through.

Once inside, heat to stbd. You can actually sort of sit on what I think is one of the stringers and poke your head up in the gunnel. You will see the horn tucked up between the helm and the gunnel. First I would test the button to be sure it works. You may be able to reach it by removing the access panel in the head as well, or from the outside - there is a small grill/vent.

As for the wiper, I will have to get back to you. She's currently wrapped up for the winter.

One other tip, if you have the keikhaeffer shifter/throttle (look like something off a go fast), do yourself a favor and clean and grease them. If you search the main repair forum you should find a post I put up this summer about the topic. I also replaced the cables which helped smooth things out as well.
Hi D,
You seem to know a lot about the 293 cobalt. I'm in need of some advice when it comes to the head. It leaks onto the floor when sitting on the bowl. My gf got pee all over her feet and I think it just needs a new seal but was looking for any advice you had, what seal to get, ect. Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.