Looking for boaters with pets.

l.cook

Recruit
Hi, I'm looking for boaters who regularly take their pets out for a montly feature in our boating magazine. I wasn't sure how to go about finding someone who wouldn't mind having their pet featured in our magazine (Soundings), and was hoping someone here would know. If anybody out there owns a sea dog (or cat, or bird) I would love to get an e-mail from you at l.cook@soundingspub.com.<br />Thanks kindly. :)

Cuddy

Cadet
Re: Looking for boaters with pets.

We always take our dalmatian out boating with us. She's a great "spotter" for waterskiing as she yips the whole time someone is out there walking on water.

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My dog is a water loving freak! She cries the whole time I'm gone if I take the boat out without her....

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My Lab is "Birdie" & boat is named after her & my love of golf... <br /><br />"Miss'd Birdie" <br /><br />...greatest "dawg" you will ever know... Loves the water plus it is her boat, always at attention but when she & I get to cruising... she just lays down listens to the music & snoozes!!! <br /><br />She has had a bad habit since she was a pup on the water... likes to turn over "beer cans" so she can partake in her beverage of choice... but I try to keep them up out of the way now... I know I didn't drink that many beers!!! LOL<br /><br /><br /> :D

MercilessMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, 3 Jack Russell Terrier's, Dont like being in water, but love digging up those crabs and chasing birds on the spoil islands

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Our chocolate lab Baci loves the boat, and is always the first one out when we get to the Cape lookout Bight. Only thing is, she sheds, and the hair keeps clogging up the bilge pump in the splash well!! :rolleyes:

fone_man

Let me tell a story...<br /><br />Out on lake in Nashville, TN, went to dock to get some water/beer/etc. & my lab, "Birdie" jumps out. She loves to run all over the docks visiting people, kids & just "running"... she follows me up to the store & I go in, she follows some kids around & they just are playing with her... I watch for awhile & decide while I am in to use the "john"... couple minutes!!!<br /><br />I come back out no kids or dog... walk all over the dock calling her name & asking if anyone has saw her... a little while ago running down the dock... after some kids!!! This is a big dock spread out with sailboats, boats, yachts, etc.., so I finally say I will go back to boat while other people were still looking...<br /><br />Guess who is sitting on engine cover waiting... I guess kids left, couldn't find me (in the "john"), then heard me calling here name & this was her first time on this dock... went back to the boat to wait it out!!!<br /><br />NOW how smart is that... knew exactly where the boat was!!!<br /><br />Proud "Daddy"!!!!! & "Happy" Puppy!!! :D

anne

Cadet

Our dogs are a part of our family, and I love<br />boating, so the dogs go boating with us on trips that won't be too much for them.<br /><br />This year both of my older dogs passed away. My Alaskan Malamute, Zola, was 11 when she died in January. My older mixed-breed dog, Alex, was also 11 when he passed away in June after a battle with cancer. We miss them very much. We still have many wonderful memories of our times with them, including memories of boating and hanging out at the water with them.<br /><br />Zola was my BIG water dog, she LOVED water (she took after me that way!)! We live on the Elk River in northern Alabama, about 7 miles upstream from the mouth where the Elk meets the Tennessee River. We have a small dock on the river where we keep my 18-foot runabout boat. If we went down to the water, Zola and Alex went, too. In her younger days, Zola loved to run down the length of the dock and take a big flying leap into the water -- it was very impressive! :D When<br />we went out on the boat, both Zola and Alex loved to lay in the bow area of the boat and put their noses up to sniff all the wonderful smells as we cruised around on river. One of my favorite things is to cruise out to big water on the Tennessee and find a nice place to stop, sit and read and swim. Zola was big into swimming, too, and swimming off the boat in deep water was fine with her. I remember<br />one time when she was out swimming for about 20 minutes -- I started thinking she must be getting tired, so we brought her to the stern and hoisted her back into the boat (no small feat with an 80 pound dog also carrying a load of water in all that fur -- I'd make a platform for her by hanging onto the boarding ladder and placing a cushion on my lap (to guard from getting scratched by her back paws -- learned that trick from experience!) where she could get "traction", then I'd raise up<br />to help her kind of jump back into the boat. On that particular occasion, I pretty much made her get back in, it seemed like she'd been out for so long. Well, she had the last laugh on that one -- once in the boat she ran up to the bow and jumped right back in the water!!! :)<br /><br />Alex was not as much into swimming, but he really loved cruising around on the boat. He loved laying in the sun, and the bow seats were just perfect for his sunbathing! We got a new dock this year that has steps to a deck above the boat slip that dogs can climb. Alex spent a few happy days with us up there laying in the sun before his passing in mid-June.<br /><br />We have two younger mixed-breed puppies now who have gone on a few boat trips with us this year but we haven't had a chance to see if they'regoing to be full-fledged, enthusiastic boaters yet. We hope so, though!<br /><br />Gordon, one of the pups (he's about 10 months old now) loves to ride in vehicles and seemed to really enjoy the trips we've taken so far on the boat. Ziggy, our newest family member (he's about 7 month old and a mixed breed, too) is a little more ambivalent about vehicle rides -- we are hoping as he gets older his enthusiasm will build!<br /><br />fone_man, my Zola was a beer-hound, too!<br />We always carry water for the dogs when we take them along, but however much I tried to convince her not to, Zola would always drink river water when we were there. She never quite got the concept of salt water -- the times I took her to beaches on the gulf coast, she'd try to drink while she was in the water, too, and boy did she make awful faces when she got a good taste of that! ;) <br /><br />This brought back a lot of way cool memories of times with my older dogs. Hopefully we'll make many more in the future with our more recently adopted family members! :) <br /><br />-anne :)

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just curious, do any of you take safety precautions with your pets? My dog always wears her life preserver while on the boat now since she was standing by the front while we were cruising and were cut off by a PWC and I had to slow down fast. She, however, lost her balance and fell out the front, and luckily was pushed to the side by her momentum and went skipping by the boat. I turned around and picked her up - she was paddling away just fine - but, boy, was that ever scary! <br /><br />So, now she always wears her life jacket, which she doesn't really even seem to notice. two other advantages to it - it has a handle on the back for helping to pull her back in the boat (like you were saying, anne, it can be fun ;) ), plus I don't have to worry about her getting tired when she's on those extended swims, since she likes to do that, too....

fone_man

Sure we do... but I have a water dog. When I bring her in she is just like "Zola"... ready to go again!!!<br /><br />Yes I have seen PFD for dawgs... <br /><br />I have to call mine in or she heads off to the bank to do her "business" & swims back. If I was in fast moving water, then I would think of such a device but this dawg will wear you out. I have been know to tie her leash under my top just to get her to rest. When camping she will just go lay in about a foot of water & hang out. <br /><br />She has been everywhere with me & the only "woman" I know that accepts me for who I am... UNCONDITIONALLY!!!... except when I don't feed her on time!!! LOL<br /><br /> :D

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a 14 year old Yorkie named Dutchess. It was our first "kid" and was raised like that. She also likes beer but has an affinity for Budweiser. Fortunately she cant drink that much.<br /><br />Probably our funniest story with her occurred a few years ago at my folks place on Kerr Lake in VA. They have a 24 ft Pontoon boat which we always go out to an island on. Normally she jumps right on from the dock as she loves the water and riding in boats. We accidentally left her at the dock and didnt realize it until we were at the island. Needless to say Dutchess was pissed and retaliated by leaving a "pile" of revenge right on the dock. This dog can develop quite and attitude when pissed off. We all had a good laugh over it.