Looking for an independent marine mechanic in central Alberta

Omineca

Seaman
I don't know where to post this, so I'll try here.

I have bought a 1973 boat with twin Penta AQ130C / AQ270T sterndrives. I believe they've been sitting for a couple of years, and I'd like to find a small shop or independent mechanic in the Edmonton, Alberta area to go through them and bring them up to par.

Yes, I know there are some big dealerships in the area, but I don't have confidence in any of them when it comes to 50 year old equipment. I want someone who knows and maybe even likes the older stuff.

Thanks for your attention.

stresspoint

Ensign
hey mate , being older motors and drives there are not many shops that will do work on them , especially since they have sat unused , too many things to mount up a large bill to the owner.

now with that said : if you are handy with a spanner and don't mind a bit of dirt on your hands , get a shop manual and go to work , this way you can learn the motors and drives for future references should something go wrong out on the water " and " without the stresses you are facing now of finding a decent honest person to work on them.

most / all :) that have worked on older marine stuff know a small job can easily turn into many hours work even for a professional so many people feel that they are being ripped of when this happens and the bill comes , whereas in actual fact some are being quite fair , so be aware of that if you do choose to go the shop route rather than having a crack at getting them up and running yourself.,

i am sure mods will move post to the right section if need be ,

Last edited:

Omineca

Seaman
hey mate , being older motors and drives there are not many shops that will do work on them , especially since they have sat unused , too many things to mount up a large bill to the owner.

no with that said " if you are handy with a spanner, get a shop manual and go to work , this way you can learn the motors and drives without the stresses of finding a decent honest person to work on them .

a small job can easily turn into many hours work even for a professional on old marine stuff , so be aware of that if you do choose to go the shop route rather than having a crack at getting them up and running yourself.,
Thanks.

That's kind of like asking my wife a question. She replies with answers to several other questions I hadn't asked. But I'm married to her!

Still looking for a mechanic, as above.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a few things.

if you find a reputable shop, they wont work on old stuff. too much of a liability, and the bill will exceed the value, so they cant recoup their loss if you dont pay the bill.

because old stuff can go sideways very quickly. very few shops will work on anything that is older than 15-20 years.

any technician that knew their way around early volvo B engines and the early AQ drives is long retired.

good luck to you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have to agree.----But show a shop $3000 cash to begin with.----There may not be many beer tokens left for you.-----Step # 1 for you is to determine if the engines were winterized when abandoned.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the drives need to be gone thru, $3k wont cut it Drive rebuild on old VP's is about $4500 each last time I had it quoted. so I borrowed some drive tools and rebuilt it myself.

Omineca

Seaman
I am not asking you any of this, although I am grateful that you are taking your time.

I want to find an independent marine mechanic or small shop in the Edmonton, Alberta area. Period. No other questions.

If you live in this region it is possible that you know of one. If you don't, then it is unlikely that you will.

Thank you in advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use google----Visit every small town.----Look for marine boat repair.-----Give them a call and see if they are interested in helping you in the slow season.-----I know of a small shop in SUNDRE.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Alot of small shops don't advertise. They don't need to, their reputation speaks for them. One here does plenty of business by word of mouth. As suggested ask around your area.

Omineca

Seaman
Thank you for the response.

But what is the name of the small shop in Sundre? That would be significantly closer than the excellent one I use in Fort St. James, BC (André Gauthier), 550 miles from me at the moment. As small business owners with 16 employees and their families to feed, we are always grateful if someone sends business our way.

Believe it or not, I have already used the usually available search options, and also placed local ads on Kijiji and Townpost, so I am now trying this seeming long shot.

Omineca

Seaman
Alot of small shops don't advertise. They don't need to, their reputation speaks for them. One here does plenty of business by word of mouth. As suggested ask around your area.
Dear Grub. I am aware of that, and I am asking here.

Omineca

Seaman
Question: Is there anyone on this forum, with local knowledge of the central Alberta region, who knows of an independent marine mechanic or small shop in the Edmonton, Alberta area?

Having lived on this planet for more than the biblically allotted span, I have accumulated a great deal of general knowledge, much of it of little use to you who read this, and so I won't insult your intelligence by regaling you with any of it, but I still don't know that one very specific thing.

Thank you in advance

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have driven by many times just west of Sundre.-----Find it using google maps.----Starts with a D in the name.----Driven by many times going to pick up coffee / tim bits with grandkids.

Omineca

Seaman
I have driven by many times just west of Sundre.-----Find it using google maps.----Starts with a D in the name.----Driven by many times going to pick up coffee / tim bits with grandkids.
Dirk's Auto and Marine? Thanks very much racerone. If I don't find someone closer by February, I shall contact them. I assume it's not a large dealership?

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in Red Deer and we don't have any big fancy boat dealers in the area even though there's a lot of boating activity in summer. There's a few small independents. I can't attest to their service since I have newer equipment, but visiting their shops they definitely work on old iron. ........... At least worth a call to get some info.

Try Red Deer Marine. I've only purchased a few parts from him but he prefers the old stuff. In winter he only works at his shop part time.
Leisure Escape has been open for a few years. Last time I visited their shop, they were going through a bunch of old equipment.
Rainy Creek Marine has a good rep, but I see they are closed during the winter months.
You can find all their contact info via Google.

Omineca

Seaman
I'm in Red Deer and we don't have any big fancy boat dealers in the area even though there's a lot of boating activity in summer. There's a few small independents. I can't attest to their service since I have newer equipment, but visiting their shops they definitely work on old iron. ........... At least worth a call to get some info.

Try Red Deer Marine. I've only purchased a few parts from him but he prefers the old stuff. In winter he only works at his shop part time.
Leisure Escape has been open for a few years. Last time I visited their shop, they were going through a bunch of old equipment.
Rainy Creek Marine has a good rep, but I see they are closed during the winter months.
You can find all their contact info via Google.
Thanks Cortes! That's great information. Red Deer is less than 2 hours from me, so getting closer. I shall contact them.

Omineca

Seaman
Meanwhile, the original question still stands.

Last edited by a moderator:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On a 50 year old boat you need to examine the overall condition of the boat structure ( as in possible rotten wood ) in stringers and transom.---Plus the engines.-----A 50 year old boat can be a bottomless pit that absorbs a lot of money.---Perhaps have someone survey the boat for a fee.-----Post some pictures of this " dream boat " that you have.-----If your technical skills are limited , then you should not be refloating an old boat.------Here in Ontario they remove engines and grind up much newer boats as scrap.