Looking for a Mentor, Trading labor

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see alot of people offering to trade help for help in these forums so I thought I would toss my own sort of help ad.

I have 0 experience with re-furbishing boats. I have 0 experience with laying glass. I do have experience working with electrical/electronic systems, carpentry, hydraulics and moderate automotive repair.

I am a fast learner and most importantly I have time to donate. I work Wed, Thurs, Fri and every other Saturday night. This means I can donate easily A Monday, Tuesday or both. Maybe even a Sunday.

I am looking to gain knowledge and experience. I know alot of these projects could use a spare hand, but not a "know it all" hand. I am 29 years old, Prior Service in the US Submarine force so I am not allergic to hard work with little payoff hehe.

If you are in the Portland OR, Vancouver WA (ish) area I would love to donate my time in exchange for your brains.

Thanks again to all of you who have boosted my intellectual level of knowledge to date!

-DrCox

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for a Mentor, Trading labor

do not be afraid.

just start hanging at the boat yards......

then read rounabout renovation by jim anderson........and read here......your boat (besides the L drive) could be compleated in less than 2 months.

ccarver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha, i tried hanging around my local boat yard, the dude was a drunk and talked about sex all day, and hitting on my girlfreind:mad: do what i did, buy a junker boat, perfeabbly a small aluminum one, and fix it up yourself and pretty much teach your self about restoration:p

drewpster

Commander

Its been my experience that self-learning these things is the best way to get started. I have been doing it that way all my life. The first thing I do is buy the book. I say THE book because I assure you there is a book that outlines what you want to know about every subject under the sun. And now with the Internet, it is possible to learn about any subject. Now at 40, I make my living based on what I have taught myself. Sure I have picked up allot from help along the way, experience is invaluable. However the "skills" truly come from hands on experience. My advice is learn what you can from any sources you can muster. But remember mentors not only pass on experience, they pass on mistakes. You may figure out a better paperclip by trying to make one yourself first.