Looking for a fuel pump or kit (1967, 60 HP)

I just bought a boat with an Evinrude model 60732. Serial E01033
If you prime the carb, it will run for a few moments. I pulled the fuel line to the carb and cranked the motor. Now fuel pushed out.
I have found fuel pumps online but they do not look like the pump I pulled out of the motor.
Any help would be appreciated. Attaching a few images.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3199.JPEG
    IMG_3199.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3202.JPEG
    IMG_3202.JPEG
    696.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3203.JPEG
    IMG_3203.JPEG
    558.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3204.JPEG
    IMG_3204.JPEG
    754.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3205.JPEG
    IMG_3205.JPEG
    524 KB · Views: 4

Whitetail55

Cadet
I think that pump runs off vacuum from crankcase. Should be able to run a later model pump and mount around the same spot.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fuel pumps operate with PRESSURE from the crankcase.-----0379777 is the repair kit part #-----Simple repair !

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Alternating High and Low(some will call it a Vacuum) Pressure

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is not much vacuum.----The reed valves open.----It is the PRESSURE pulse that drives the pump.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I did say some would call it a Vacuum, and I did say alternating Pressure
There is a Spring pushing the Diaphragm back when the Pressure reduces

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
on most pumps the diaphragm is pushed away by a small spring to cause an internal vacum that sucks gas from the hose. Initially that empty space is filled up by the hose pump when filling the carb.

Then to push that load of "imported" fuel in the pump void .... the downstroke of the piston pressurizes the crankcase to push new fuel into the cyl. ports and.....causes the same pressure to flex the pump's diaphragm and causes it expel the load of fuel towards the carb. ...all done with check valves.

in conlusion... pressure makes the pump work not vacum

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
As was explained to me in Physics, almost 50 yrs ago. When there is a Reduced Pressure inside, say a Fuel Pump, Higher Pressure(in most cases, Atmospheric) in the Fuel Tank will push fuel to the Pump. Alternately, Higher Pressure on the Crankcase side of the Pump Diaphragm will then push fuel the Carb

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
exactly what I said...differently :) still need to prime with the pump ... the tank vent being open.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many fuel pumps are replaced as a guess.----They are elegantly simple and easy to test.----Easy to repair.-----On the fuel pump in post #1 a diaphragm replacement will make it work for many more years.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
We had 2 motors that had that style of Pump. Didn't OMC switch to a Non-serviceable Pump in the late 60s?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nope---The pumps are all easy to repair and kits are offered to do the simple repair.----Well,---Simple to some folks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
This service manual(one of the few better, than Outhouse Paper) says the newer pumps weren't serviceable.
img181.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those non factory manuals were not the best.----The pump they talk about is repairable.----Just need to know how !!

Update -
I found a and installed a new pump.
I replaced all the fuel line. Note: The fuel lines I put in are transparent.
I replaced the line and bulb from the tank, filled the tank and made sure the vent is open.

This morning when I squeezed the bulb, I can see fuel moving to the pump. However, I never saw fuel move past the inlet of the pump to show any fuel in the pump or onward to the carb.

The fuel line had pressure on it and sprayed all over me when I disconnected the line form the engine.

I even cranked the motor to see if the pump would pull any fuel. That didn't work either.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
in and out mixed up....if so your inbound fuel was facing a check valve ! .

Last edited: