Looking for a boat for the family

gus13letter

Cadet
Ok, this is my first post on here, however have owned a few boats and jetski's in the past. I have looked though past threads of "what boat to buy" but didnt see anything that helped me out.

I am in search of a boat for the family. Something that can take us a few miles out to the islands, be sea worthy in case the water gets rough wile we are out,has enough seating, and is comfortable for my family. I have had center consoles in the past, but I dont feel it is really a family boat to go out on a nice ride with. Since I like the riding style of the center console I thought to get a dual console but there arent many for sale around here. A friend of mine has a 2007 Hurricane 202 Fundeck (non pontoon look) with a 150 HP Yamaha 4 stroke on it. He is asking a very fair amount on it so I am strongly considering it however I am afraid it may not be able to take the rougher water too well. It is a great looking boat at a affordable price!

Any input would be greatly appriciated!

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: Looking for a boat for the family

" Looking for a boat for the family"
are looking to sell them or trade them :)
you dont say where you are or how big the family is.
do you want I/O or O/B bow rider or cuddy or full pocket cruiser

woosterken

gus13letter

Cadet

" Looking for a boat for the family"
are looking to sell them or trade them :)
you dont say where you are or how big the family is.
do you want I/O or O/B bow rider or cuddy or full pocket cruiser

woosterken

:D No not trading the family, just looking for a family friendly boat. ;)
Total of 4 of us - me, wife, 2 young daughters, but I am sure friends will go with us.
I am in Tampa, FL so I will be running in the gulf a lot, in and around Clearwater. I want an OB, 4 stroke so it is quiet.

Looking for either center console, dual console, or deck boat like Hurricane.

I really like the Sea Fox 216 DC. Nice deep V, tall sides, and able to drive it standing up. Just dont know much about the boat as far as quality overall.

Philster

Captain

Few miles out = Not a deck boat!

Deep V, Offshore hull. Good Deadrise, high freeboard, etc.

gus13letter

Cadet

Few miles out = Not a deck boat!

Deep V, Offshore hull. Good Deadrise, high freeboard, etc.

Ok, that's what I was originally looking for. I guess I was being hopeful that I could make my friend's Hurricane work out since it is a good deal.

Any suggestions on a dual console?

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't discount a walk around also depending on the length you are looking for. A small cabin may be beneficial to you with you small children as a place to get out of weather and nap.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any suggestions on a dual console?

Plenty Dual console available ...
We have a KeyWest 2020dc and it serve us pretty well for our need 50/50 lake/salt water watersport/fishing

DCP_5397.jpg

Will recommend you to go a least 21+ to have decent space and have a potty in the console

In no specific order : Grady White, Sea Hunt, Boston Whaler, Hydrasport, Keywest, Proline, Scout, Seaswirl, Triumph, Seafox, Polar....all have DC, make your pick

Are you planning to trailer it ??

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

No deck boat or bow rider for off shore. if you have made up your mind about no center console, dual is the best with a bimini. In Florida you need shade but not shelter.
Look at Sea Hunt Ultra, both dual and CC. I think you may find a lot of CC's that are outfitted for family cruising. In open water it's nice to be able to get away from the sides of the boat; if everyone has to sit along the gunwales, half of them will be getting wet.

gus13letter

Cadet

Thanks for the input. So it seems CC or DC will be the way to go. It is a shame, because my friends Hurricane is nice and has waranty for another 3 years with only 43 hrs on the motor. However, I dont want to get beat up or fear to take the boat our because the weather can turn at any time. It is FL we are talking about.

Yes, I am looking for a 21 - 23ft.
Yes I will trailer it. I have a 4WD Suburban.
I havent ruled out the CC because they are not like my previous CC that I owned (19 & 21' CC Sportcraft). It seems they started to gear them around families more. That is what is making this so difficult. I have looked on e-bay, I have looked on this site, I have looked on craigslist, and I have looked on boattrader for DC within 250 miles of me and I can only find a total of about 10 in the area that are larger than 21ft. :confused: Now if I wanted a CC there is a plethera of them.
I want to stay newer, probably about 2007 or newer.

My next question. Are there any OB 4 strokes to stay away from? I was looking at the Yamaha but noticed some have the Suzuki.

Don't discount a walk around also depending on the length you are looking for. A small cabin may be beneficial to you with you small children as a place to get out of weather and nap.

My dad has a 24' WA and I personally dont like the cabin. It seems to fill with clutter and is never used. It is to hot in FL. Now if it was a larger boat like my friends 28' Aqusport with generator and A/C then ok, but I cannot go that big.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice boat but 1400 hours on a rental boat......, and I will be looking at least for 200HP on a 22'

I don't know your budget and if 150hp sound enought for you here are some more

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-SEA-FOX-216-DC-(Outstanding-Condition!)-96814137

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-Key-West-211-DC-96386588

gus13letter

Cadet

Nice boat but 1400 hours on a rental boat......, and I will be looking at least for 200HP on a 22'

I don't know your budget and if 150hp sound enought for you here are some more

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-SEA-FOX-216-DC-(Outstanding-Condition!)-96814137

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-Key-West-211-DC-96386588

Thank you. I saw those.
Here is another one. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2010-SEA-FOX-236-Dual-Console-96738133 Quite larger, but is the price of the 216 here locally.
I would prefer used only because they tend to have more electronics and are almost half the cost like the one you showed me. I think I will have to keep my options open to driving the distance to pick one up if needed. Not sure why there arent many for sale locally to me. Someone said they are amore of a northern boat and CC are the thing down here.

I really like the Sea Fox even comared to a 202 Hydrasport. The hydrasport was all around smaller and I couldnt stand to drive the boat.

Mikie Mikie

Cadet

I have My Wife, 2 girls and 1 boy, a potty is a must on long rides. A private spot for the potty, in the Gulf with the Family a full windshield will keep most of them dry, plenty of shade is needed too. Trim tabs help keep the bow up above the waves in rough water, and the ladies like nice seats, the bigger the boat the more the gas & Taxes and dock space cost more, should I Keep going, I love talking about boats!

gus13letter

Cadet

After hours of searching and going to take a look at some boats I have come to the conclusion that the DC is probably the best for my needs. Now it is time to narrow the search of the brand and size. I think something close to a 21 or 23 would be good. Right now I like the:

SeaFox 216 and 236
SeaHunt Escape 207 or 220
Seaswirl 2101 (they tend to have larger engines, like 225HP where the others tend to have 150HP)

What is ideal HP for a 21 - 22 ft boat?

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I forgot about the KW. I do like those too. Thanks for the reminder.
I saw a 2007 Hydrasport 202 with 200HP Yamaha and was very small boat.

the HS 202 is a big boat for his size, also one of the only one i believe with the potty under 21'.
Hydra Sport also carry the 2200DC

gus13letter

Cadet

Ok, I found one I like, but.... It seems over priced and maybe underpowered. Any thoughs? Are Seaswirl good boats or at least not the bottom of the boats?

2004 Seaswirl 2101 (21ft) Ceter Console with 150 Yamaha HPDI. Asking $21,900. NADA with no options is showing avg retail $15,880. It does have VHF, Fish finder, GPS, and T-top. It is a clean boat and would suit my purposes perfectly, but there are tons of boats out there so I dont want to settle. Here are a few pics.

I have seen some others similar to this selling for $15000 or on ebay with buy now of $14500.

Attachments

• Photo_070510_001.jpg
    Photo_070510_001.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo_070510_002.jpg
    Photo_070510_002.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo_070510_005.jpg
    Photo_070510_005.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 0

aspeck

Staff member

That seems a little overpriced to me, but then there isn't a big need or market for the Dual Consoles in my neck of the woods. I have a 19 footer with a 115 and it does okay on the fresh water lake that I boat, but I would be hesitant to do too much out in the open water. I wish it had at least a 150 on her. For a 21 - 23 footer I would want keep my bare minimum to a 150 and would much prefer a 175 - 250, or dual 115 - 150's, if possible. I do like the dual engines for going out of sight of land, but that is just a personal preference.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Sea Swirl is like the other "Sea" boats, considered a mid-level as to quality.

I agree it's overpriced and that $15,000 maybe 17 is the better number.

I have a 21' Sea Hunt CC with a 150 2 stroke--pretty much the same boat. I don't find it under powered at all, but if I had to repower I might bump it up a notch. I don't need speed and it has held its own in rough water. Pulls a tube and cruises fine with big old me and 4-5 teens on board.

The interior design makes it a great "active family" boat; old people and sedentary types might want more padding and less room to move about.