Looking at Tampa, FL or N. Myrtle Beach, SC or?

Go Aweigh2452

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We are tiring of the rain up in the Great PNW and looking at probably renting out our home up here until the housing market improves and moving someplace warmer and sunnier during fall, winter and spring... We would be up here in the PNW for the summers... maybe 6 or more weeks at a time...

Because we enjoy saltwater boating, its not in stone but we are looking at the Tampa Bay/St Petersburg area or the Myrtle Beach-N Myrtle Beach area.

We lived in Daytona Beach and Jacksonville as well as Pensacola in FL but have never lived in SC. We plan to travel to SC and FL in Jan or Feb to check both areas and any others that sound pleasing.

Suggestions welcome, especially from locals in both or other areas...

Some important info:
We are not anticipating working full time except to feed our boating habit if necessary. I may decide to teach at a local community college for fun and some profit... We plan to take our boat cross country with us since 75% of our time will be in other than PNW. We plan to keep her trailered as well...

We would rent first before we decide to settle down...

thanks in advance...

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Looking at Tampa, FL or N. Myrtle Beach, SC or?

well I lived in Tampa for just over a year and while in the military I spent many a weekend in myrtle beach.

hands down, no question, you will like Myrtle much better. If I'm wrong I'll buy you a beer.

Tampa has over the last many years become a very depressed place to live. last time I was there was 4 years ago and it looked like a place where you wouldn't even want to stop for gas. I'm sure right on the water there are still a few nice places but overall it was a very depressing place to be. boarded up and run down seems to be the decor of choice.
Myrtle Beach is fantastic, beautiful, wonderful people, you can avoid all the touristy crap and stay off on your own away from the main public beach area. South Carolina as a whole is absolutely beautiful.
Last time I was in Myrtle was three years ago or so. still very nice there.

either place is great weather wise in spring and fall, and both get quite chilly in winter.

nlain

Commander

Don't throw Georgia out just yet, we have some nice water here also. We have a couple of colleges in the Savannah area, some small and 2 that are part of the Atlantic State University System. There are several marinas in the area and many places you can put your boat in the water either by boat ramp or by lift. We can boat most of the year also, last week was not boating weather as our highs were in the 30's maybe low 40's and 20's with wind chill in the low teens. I have been out in Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb, which are our winter months, not every day but the weather does get nice enough to go out.

robert graham

Admiral

Check out Beaufort, S.C., not too big or too small, great boating, seafood, beautiful homes, lots of history! Also check Charleston,S.C., similar to Beaufort but just more of everything! Good Luck!

The South Port area which is only a few miles north or north myrtle beach has the small fishing village feel. Check it out

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
  • southport.jpg
    southport.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Bradenton/Sarasota, FL is a real nice area. My aunt and uncle have a place there. Not real touristy but minutes from beautiful gulf coast beaches.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I've been vacationing at least twice a year in Myrtle, the Redneck Riviera, for over 20 years. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the city of MB, NMB, Garden City, or Surfside because of all the tourist traffic. I'd pick a community a bit north or south of those I mentioned.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

I relocated from New England to Eastern NC and never looked back.
I love the NC coast (Morehead City, Beaufort).

The west coast of Fla was appealing (more than the east coast).
The Myrtle Beach SC area is another area I looked at closely.
A friend of mine lived in the PNW for 12 years, loved it but because of the lack of sun, she moved to SC and loves the friendly people and balmy weather.

Anywhere you go, use the web to research areas.
I used this site, it uses US Census data...crime rates, population density, etc

http://www.homefair.com/real-estate/city-profile/index.asp?netscape_livewire.src=realtor2

Keep in the mind the weather, the further south you go, the sun is stronger, and there are more hot days in the year!

Go Aweigh2452

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All great information so far. Thank you for taking the time to inform... It really helps getting the perspective of those that have been there or live there. It is appreciated... This is not a lightly made decision on our part but we are ready after over 20 years up here in the PNW...

arks

Lieutenant Commander

The South Port area which is only a few miles north or north myrtle beach has the small fishing village feel. Check it out

Yeah, I'd suggest you take a look at Southport, too. Beautiful area.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I was raised in Tampa. First moved there as an AirForce brat in '55. I spent most of my life there over the following 50 years. As mentioned, Tampa is not too good of a place for a boater. Everything is on the beaches; and Tampa traffic is some of the worst in the nation....

For about nine years I had a home in Englewood, south of Venice; north of Ft Myers area.

It has some of the best beaches in the state. Especially a few miles up the road in Sarasota. We were on the intercoastal and the fishing back then was awesome. Since they banned the inshore gill netting, it has gotten better...also, watching huge schools of 100# tarpon rising up and rolling around your boat is unreal.

You could also check out the Cape Coral, Ft Myers area. I mention these as they are just a few more miles south, and the weather is a good bit warmer.

Someone else also mentioned Bradenton/Sarasota. Also a couple of nice places with very reasonable home prices.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depending on what you are looking for in SC, and it's boating you want, consider Georgetown or Beaufort. If you want a bigger place with just about everything, you are welcome to come here to Charleston with us. Great place, lots of good boating and fishing, nice beaches.

But please don't tell anybody else.
:D

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I lived in Vancouver, WA for 17 years, so I know how you're feeling. :)

I'm now in Treasure Island, FL, which is a waterfront community on the ICW/GOM near St Pete.

As far as Tampa... I avoid it like the plague. Bleech!

Pinellas County (St Pete/Clearwater) is a whole different animal then Tampa. I prefer the Gulf side, rather then the Bay side. When you're down here, check out the barrier island areas from Clearwater Beach and south to Pass-A-Grille. You can rent on the water with a dock/lift for under $2k for a 3/2. Condos on the water can be had for under $1k.

Best boating areas here from north to south(IMO); Sand Key; Belleair Beach (and you need to be a prince to afford to live there), Indian Rocks Beach, Treasure Island/Isle of Capri/Isle of Palms, St Pete Beach, Pass-A-Grille, Tierre Verde. These areas have the best Gulf access, huge percentage of waterfront property (80%+), and are clean and safe. For best water access (ie Gulf and Bay), Treasure Island and south are your best bets.

The areas I left off (the Redingtons, Indian Shores, Mad Beach) I did because access to the Gulf is a relatively long trip, or (Clearwater/Clearwater Beach, Mad Beach/John's Pass) is too touristy for my liking.

The Carolinas are beautiful, but they still get winter. I boat almost everyday, 365 days a year.

My 2 cents.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Agree,Nice area for sure with small town feel and a couple nice marinas...

Myrtle Beach is just too commercialized for me unless you find something way up in North Myrtle.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Had a son and a daughter who lived in Tampa at different times aand agree with the previous comments. Tampa gets very crowded with seasonal visitors in trailer parks in the winter. My daughters church went broke every Christmas because of the visitors signing up for food baskets, due to being "needy".

One of my favorite bumper stickers was on a Tampa electrician's truck and read "When I get old,I'm going to move up North and drive slooow."

aspeck

Staff member

, you are welcome to come here to Charleston with us.

But please don't tell anybody else. :D

How many extra bedrooms do you have???? we only need 2, except when family comes to visit us!:eek:

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out Pasco County FL. Hudson, Port Richey and surrounding areas. Rental homes on the water can be found for less than $1,000.00 per month. $2,000.00 per month will get you a very nice place. Homes to purchase within a mile of the Gulf for less than $100,000.00. Many marinas, dockage etc. all over the place. One drawback is no real beaches but great place for boating. My parents live in Port Richey. If you are a land person inland of these areas acreage is very reasonable and still relatively close to the water.

Some rental examples

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/apa/2119274721.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/apa/2119257713.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/apa/2118400787.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/apa/2117766892.html

Go Aweigh2452

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Adjuster.... The admiral is salivating... We are planning a trailering RV road trip the end of January and will certainly check out the areas you pointed out. Thanks again...