Looking at and older glass boat, what questions should i ask?

big_fish_guy

Recruit
first off, let me say that this forum has been very helpful. the knowledge base here is great. that is why i am posing this question.
I am looking at a couple older boats. one is a 76 22' carver camper, and the other is a 79 25' carver santa cruise. what are some things i should be looking at? questions i should be asking? should i get a survey? a hull sounding? I for sure will have to drive both of these boats before before any purchase is made...

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Looking at and older glass boat, what questions should i ask?

:welcome:with boats of that age, you want to check the transom and floors, stringers for rot. the parts availability for the engines and stress cracks in the fiberglass

Last edited:

saumon

Lieutenant

You'll likely need this outfit :D:
sans-titre.png

Bondo

Staff member

first off, let me say that this forum has been very helpful. the knowledge base here is great. that is why i am posing this question.
I am looking at a couple older boats. one is a 76 22' carver camper, and the other is a 79 25' carver santa cruise. what are some things i should be looking at? questions i should be asking? should i get a survey? a hull sounding? I for sure will have to drive both of these boats before before any purchase is made...

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... All of it,....

Rotten wood, 'n the general over all health of the motors, 'n drives, probably the most important,....

What motors, 'n drives should also be a consideration,...
At that age, if they say OMC on 'em, you Don't want the boat,...

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Read and print the sticky at the top of the page. Take it with you when you look at the boat. Be very fussy and remember there are no simply fixes to stringers and transoms.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

If they say theve replaced the deck have a good look some guys think that just putting new wood over the exsiting rotted wood is a New deck lol I recently looked a one with a suposedly new deck guy tried to pull that sh!t. Called him out and he got very Mad

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

If they say theve replaced the deck have a good look some guys think that just putting new wood over the exsiting rotted wood is a New deck lol I recently looked a one with a suposedly new deck guy tried to pull that sh!t. Called him out and he got very Mad

What did you expect after you just insulted him and his hard work?

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

Haha his hard work of trying to sell a rotten boat! It happens to so many It happened to me when i was just getting into the sport1 Arm your self with knowlage. This site is great place to do that!!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

:welcome:with boats of that age, you want to check the transom and floors, stringers for rot. the parts availability for the engines and stress cracks in the fiberglass

+1. Rotten wood is your #1 enemy. Even though a FG boat is said to have the wood wrapped in glass, if the wood can flex it can crack the glass and allow water to enter. You can go to the restoration sections of this site and see what water does to wood over time and just how big of a problem it is to correct. Course there are 2 kinds of rot: Wet and dry. www the subjects and see.

Mark