Looking at an old 1978 Bayliner

bosco83

Cadet
I went and looked at this old Bayliner an old man is selling and he's owned it since the early 90's it's been garaged every day since. He's too old to use it and it hasn't been moved in years. My main concern is I brought a moisture meter and the transom measure 5-6% moisture almost every where you check. For reference I checked other areas of the hull and it doesn't register anything. I tapped the transom all over with a hammer and it seems ok some spots midway and higher sound different like more hollow but I don't know do that's because it less solid there. I tried lifting the motor to see if the transom flexed but I didn't notice any movement. I'm not too concerned with the mechanics of the boat he only wants $1,000 to get it out of his garage. Is this a huge concern I don't want some major project boat. I don't mind tuning up the engine and replacing the interior but I don't want to replace a transom on a boat that's not worth it.

bosco83

Cadet
Trying to get the pictures to post

Attachments

• IMG_8040.png
    IMG_8040.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8039.png
    IMG_8039.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8037.png
    IMG_8037.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 8

tpenfield

Staff member
First thing would be to make sure the current owner has proper proof-of-ownership paperwork (Title, registration, etc.) for the boat, trailer, and engines (if you live in a state that title engines).

What type of moisture meter? 5-6% is not much, but it depends on if it was the marine type or a household type of meter.

44 year old boat could be a project, but if it turned out that way, you could easily sell the engines and trailer for more than the $1,000.

bosco83

Cadet
I went and looked at this old Bayliner an old man is selling and he's owned it since the early 90's it's been garaged every day since. He's too old to use it and it hasn't been moved in years even though he keeps the tabs current. My main concern is I brought a moisture meter and the transom measure 5-6% moisture almost every where you check. For reference I checked other areas of the hull and it doesn't register anything. I tapped the transom all over with a hammer and it seems ok some spots midway and higher sound different like more hollow I don't know if that's because it less solid there. I tried lifting the motor to see if the transom flexed but I didn't notice any movement. I'm not too concerned with the mechanics of the boat he only wants $1,000 to get it out of his garage. Is this a huge concern?you'd think being in a garage for the last 8 years or so you wouldn't find any moisture even if it was rotten. I don't want some major project boat. I don't mind tuning up the engine and replacing the interior but I don't want to replace a transom on a boat that's not worth it.
First thing would be to make sure the current owner has proper proof-of-ownership paperwork (Title, registration, etc.) for the boat, trailer, and engines (if you live in a state that title engines).

What type of moisture meter? 5-6% is not much, but it depends on if it was the marine type or a household type of meter.

44 year old boat could be a project, but if it turned out that way, you could easily sell the engines and trailer for more than the $1,000.
He has the titles for the boat and trailer and it's not required for the engines here. I was using a household moisture meter set to drywall.

tpenfield

Staff member
He has the titles for the boat and trailer and it's not required for the engines here. I was using a household moisture meter set to drywall.
In my experience checking moisture on my boats with those meters is that glassed wood in good condition will read 10-15%. Exposed wood will read about the same. Readings of 25% and more are cause for concern.

Is the transom just exposed wood? or does it have a layer of fiberglass over it?

bosco83

Cadet
In my experience checking moisture on my boats with those meters is that glassed wood in good condition will read 10-15%. Exposed wood will read about the same. Readings of 25% and more are cause for concern.

Is the transom just exposed wood? or does it have a layer of fiberglass over it?
It has fiberglass over it.