looking around for an old whaler

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys when i was a kid around 13 y/o my dad got me an old 13ft whaler with a 20hp johnson both were 69 models. well i was young and stupid and wanted a jet ski after about a year. well now i am looking to find me another whaler to rebuild. i would like to find a older model 13-17 ft whaler to play with. any of you guys know where i can start looking from somthing like that that could be cheap.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: looking around for an old whaler

I have seen some on CL and ebay on occasion...... seems like the prices are on the rise since the season is here. Where are you located? Here in the NE you see them often.

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

way down in louisiana, i thought i saw one of the 15s around the city where i work i might go look at it tomorrow and i think i saw one in the back of a boat shop in the hood around here the other day. i should have never sold my old 13 it was all beat up and still rolling like new

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've been looking on and off for my son for a 13' BW, I really don't think there's another boat made that holds it's value like a Whaler whether they're worth it or not.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

continuouswave.com is a great whaler site.

The good thing about them is that there isn't much you can do to hurt the hull over time, although if you get one that's been sitting on a trailer, they are supposed to rest on rollers under the keel, and flat bunks at the stern. Rollers on the flat parts can damage the bottom.

I have my dad's 1964 13' that I grew up in.

You may have to find one and have it shipped.

McKee bought the hull mold so some of their boats are identical-but they still aren't whalers!

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

way down in louisiana, i thought i saw one of the 15s around the city where i work i might go look at it tomorrow and i think i saw one in the back of a boat shop in the hood around here the other day. i should have never sold my old 13 it was all beat up and still rolling like new

Check the new orleans craigs list site. I was looking on there last week and saw a couple of whalers. Also, look in the BR, Laf, and Lake Charles areas on there too. I always see at least one whaler on there.

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys i really miss my old 13 but i am a big boy at about 290 pounds so i am thinking the 16 would fit me better but if i could find my an old 13 to redo keep it in the tiller handle model with a 25-40 i would be in love again lol. my dads friend had one re done with a 40 on it but he took all the teek wood out and put an aluminum console.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

When I was 12 the whaler was huge. Amazing how much it shrank in 40 years. So if you get a 13 it will be fun for you to run around in some, but small for fishing. Great size to tow behind your sundancer for an auxilary and for the children, guests, etc.

For regular use look for a 15/16. But it's more money, more motor, etc.

You might consider this (I would): get the 13' whaler, an old blue hull, for the nostalgia. But if you want something more usable for you and adults, look into a 15-17 bare bones boat like a Carolina Skiff, privateer, whaler copy (McKee), although you could easily come across an old whaler in your search. They are heavier and thus require a larger motor, though.

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am leaning more towards looking for about a 17 i looked at an old 13 today and it was like wow it seemed so much bigger back then lol. i been looking at the carolinas a little bit i just need another boat to fish alone in or with 1 other cause the sundancer is to big to take out for just 2 people to fish.

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow that one in the link is a nice little rig with a little tlc would make some one a sweet ride.